Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Curious question about light gathering capability

Hey peeps,

Just another question from yours truly. I know that the scope manufacturers always go on about this scope has 50% more light gathering capability than that scope etc...... What is the calculation to work this out???? Reason I am asking is that I have a 127 SLT at the moment (5"). But i am expecting a C9.25 soon and was wondering what the light gathering capability of the new scope would be compared to my 127 SLT?

Just curious really, but I guess it would be handy to know what the calculation is for future reference.

Thanks muchly

Geee, I love the occasional easy question!

The LGP is just the area of the lens or mirror. This can be compared to the human eye (6mm diameter) or any other lens/ mirror.

The area is Pi *d^2/4 where Pi= 3.14157 and d is the clear diameter of the lens.

When comparing lens the Pi/4 is a constant, so it boils down to the ratio of d^2.

The eye = 6*6 =36

Your 125mm = 125*125 = 15625

The C9.25= 235*235= 55225

The 5" therefore collects some (15625/36)= 434 times more light than the human eye

and the C9.25 (55225/15625) = 3.53 times more than the 125mm

Hope this helps

(An interesting question for you to consider...what does the x3.53 more light mean in terms of fainter magnitudes??....)

This is all to do with the area - for example, a 200mm aperture instrument has 77% more light gathering power than a 150mm telescope = simply apply pi*r2 to get the area of each primary and then divide the larger area by the smaller area, multiply by 100 then subtract 100 to get the percentage.

Archived