Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Set point cooling at the Atik 314L+

Haven't had the opportunity for a first light yet, but I'm just running through a few tests.

How long (approximately) should I expect the 314L+ to take to cool down to -10? My camera only seems to want to go to down to around -5.8 at the most. At the moment it's been stuck at around -5.6 for 20 minutes or so. Is this normal?

I've tried powering through a 12V power tank, and a regulated power supply, same results.

Edit: Argh! please excuse the thread title. It should of course read Set point cooling and the Atik 314L+!

Mine colls down to 27 degrees below ambient pretty quickly, in a couple of minutes. You say that you are stuck at -5.8, what is the ambient temperature? If it's much more than 20 degrees then you'll not get much lower than you already are.

if you use maximdl there will be a percentage of the power thatthe camera consumes, you should set the temperarure so that ypu get about 75-80% that way you won't stress the battery and the power supply for the camera. also note that the camera has a ΔT=-27°C which means that you shouldn't exeed a temperature differnece of 27°C

if you use maximdl there will be a percentage of the power thatthe camera consumes, you should set the temperarure so that ypu get about 75-80% that way you won't stress the battery and the power supply for the camera. also note that the camera has a ΔT=-27°C which means that you shouldn't exeed a temperature differnece of 27°C

Thanks for this as well Kookoo_Gr :icon_salut:

Hi Andy,

Could I ask you the reasons behind your choice of this model from atik, only I have 2 choices in mind

this model and the 383l+ after much reading Im leaning toward the 314l+ because of the noise levels

and the sony chip.

Thankyou BigBlueOne.

Hi Andy,

Could I ask you the reasons behind your choice of this model from atik, only I have 2 choices in mind

this model and the 383l+ after much reading Im leaning toward the 314l+ because of the noise levels

and the sony chip.

Thankyou BigBlueOne.

There were a few reasons.

- I've been lusting after one for a long time

- more seriously, this camera has a great reputation for sensitivity and low noise

- I already had 1.25" filters, both RGB and and narrowband, and a manual 1.25" filter wheel - which ruled out some cameras, unless I budgeted for 2" filters

- I was considering the 383, but noise issues had held me back

- and finally, FLO currently knocking something off the price was enough to tip me over edge! :D

I would still like something like the 383L, particularly now I believe you can use 1.25" filters, but would probably instead go for the 460EX. Although that is probably a very long way off ... In fact, so far off I can't even see it! :D

Thanks Andy, I was talking to Badgers he just purchased one of the 460 ex, that with a filter wheel is going to be very hard to

run past my wife. As it is Im selling of my canon 24-70 2.8L to help fund my ccd. At the moment Im leaning toward the 314

with the EFW2 .

Thankyou once again BigBlueOne.

One thing about Atik coolers that affects both our 4000s is that they don't like being interrupted. If you get in a pickle with the cooler (eg accidentally turning it off with a false click once under way) I find you're done for and a full shut down and restart is the only way to be sure that the cooler is doing what the software says it is doing. I've heard others say the same.

Olly

Archived