Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

x box web cam

bought a xbox web cam a while ago used it a few times works pretty good, the question is what focal length is it i imagine around 9mm going on the images compared to my e.ps any ideas

Once the lens has been removed the camera doesn't have a focal length. It is said that the image produced is the same size as one might get with a 6mm eyepiece, but I think that can be misleading as it can encourage people to think a camera magnifies as if it were a 6mm eyepiece when in fact no such thing is happening at all. The idea may be useful (though I'm not sure how), but I think it's best avoided.

James

It's handy to know that approx a 6mm EP will give you a similar view to your webcam for aligning purposes but the focus point will be completely different so you can't expect to remove the EP and fit the webcam and then your target be in focus, it will at least be in the FOV which is half the battle.

Archived