Ahh. virtual sub may well allow you to convert the file to another format that registax can read happily. I'm not familiar with the neximage software, but it may allow you to change the output file format. Or you could try using sharpcap for the capture.

James

Hi Matt,

I had exactly the same problem when I tried to open .avi files that I had captured on my digital compact camera. For some reason Registax doesn't like the .avi format that my compact saves the files in. I now have a Asda webcam and a Philips webcam and the .avi files for those cameras open fine in Registax.

As James says, try to convert them to a different .avi file format (you would think that .avi was .avi, but hey...this is computing where nothing is standard!). I did have very limited success doing this - I believe I only managed one file out of about 5 or 6, but it is worth a go.

Bryan

you would think that .avi was .avi, but hey...this is computing where nothing is standard!

Andy Tannenbaum (well-known in computer science circles, but probably unheard of otherwise) once said "The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." :)

However, avi *is* a standard, but for how the video and audio are packaged up into one file, not for the actual encoding of either, which is why you get into the situation where an application can read the "container" but then finds that it can't actually decode what's inside.

James

thanks for the info guys i got 1 file open since i got the thing maybe i am doing something wrong with the capture i will play about with the thing see if i can get it sorted out lol

I run my neximage off xp and never have any problems. Forgive me because I am not a computer expert so I am a little hesitant to say this for fear I may be talking out of my bottom. But vista could be a little buggy with some xp programs and the advice was to run some programs as a virtual xp machine is it possible that windows 7 shares some of the same characteristics? neximage is very old software by now.

However, avi *is* a standard, but for how the video and audio are packaged up into one file, not for the actual encoding of either, which is why you get into the situation where an application can read the "container" but then finds that it can't actually decode what's inside.

How strange! I normally find that the outsides all look different but when you take the casing off everything inside is exactly the same. :grin: You just tend to pay more for the one with the 'known brand' name! :rolleyes2:

Bryan

As JamesF says AVI is a just a wrapper format that combines seperate video and audio files into a single package.

To find out what format the real content is in you need to use something like AVIcodec (http://www.free-code...ad/avicodec.htm) or GSpot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/) which should tell you what format the contents are actually in which should enable you to work out what you need to view them.

If you aren't sure what the results mean I'm sure if you post them on here someone should be able to help.

Archived