Barlowed Stock 10mm EP

I had a quick play with my 10mm EP last night after rather naively declaring it poor on it's first outing.

Yes, it gets blurry what seems to be about 0.0001mm from the centre, yes the eye relief is poor in that you have to nearly climb inside to see the full FOV; but... It barlows quite well.

The eye relief increased to a comfortable level, the image, whilst still blurry away from the edge, remained reasonably sharp in the centre. All in all, I really didn't mind using it.

I don't regret buying the 8mm BST by any means; the views from it are fantastic, but I do kinda wish I'd have given the 10mm a little more time.

On the other side of the coin, I find the 25mm EP more than acceptable when used on it's own, really nice image; but when barlowed the eye relief becomes really long; you have to hover over the EP which is quite awkward, I'd much prefer a 12mm single EP for this; but, as I say, what it does it does really well. A keeper for me...

Lesson learnt the hard way...

... if you've read the stock EPs are naff; they're not! Please don't rush into buying a "better" EP and give them a thorough chance before writing it off like I did!

I had a quick play with my 10mm EP last night after rather naively declaring it poor on it's first outing.

Yes, it gets blurry what seems to be about 0.0001mm from the centre, yes the eye relief is poor in that you have to nearly climb inside to see the full FOV; but... It barlows quite well.

The eye relief increased to a comfortable level, the image, whilst still blurry away from the edge, remained reasonably sharp in the centre. All in all, I really didn't mind using it.

I don't regret buying the 8mm BST by any means; the views from it are fantastic, but I do kinda wish I'd have given the 10mm a little more time.

On the other side of the coin, I find the 25mm EP more than acceptable when used on it's own, really nice image; but when barlowed the eye relief becomes really long; you have to hover over the EP which is quite awkward, I'd much prefer a 12mm single EP for this; but, as I say, what it does it does really well. A keeper for me...

Lesson learnt the hard way...

... if you've read the stock EPs are naff; they're not! Please don't rush into buying a "better" EP and give them a thorough chance before writing it off like I did!

I agree with you entirely.

Barlowing the stock 10mm gives quite a comfortable view at 5mm, and the 25mm does not take well to Barlowing because it has far too much eye relief. I do find when comparing them to my 4mm TMB Designed EP that especially when viewing a bright object such as the Moon, you get a lot of CA which is just not there with my other eyepiece. With the stock 25mm, bright stars such as Vega to me seem like the Blue is erupting outside of the star, and the images aren't as sharp as I want them to be (this also may be collimation, but the Moon was absolutely perfectly sharp).

This goes to anyone who has just bought a scope, don't rush with new EPs, get to learn the sky and EPs first!

I tried it and really couldn't get on with it so upgraded fairly quickly and was much happier as a result. I think I'd always recommend at least trying the stock eyepieces for a while before replacing them though.

James

My stock EPs are actually both fine, I don't think they're brilliant but I can get along with them both and on bright stuff like the moon the 10mm is nearly as sharp as my BST 8mm.

Archived