Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is it worht upgrading EQ5

With an EQ mount and tracking motor you can get 90-120secs exposures with very respectable results. But to eliminate star trailing to any real degree of satisfaction you need a highly accurate mount with a guide scope and guide camera. Then allmost all drift is eliminated. You need to achieve "pixel perfect" accuracy and exact polar alignment. Don't forget dso's are very dim and distant and you're holding your shutter open for 5 or 10mins at a time. :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But to eliminate star trailing to any real degree of satisfaction you need a highly accurate mount with a guide scope and guide camera. Then allmost all drift is eliminated. You need to achieve "pixel perfect" accuracy and exact polar alignment. Don't forget dso's are very dim and distant and you're holding your shutter open for 5 or 10mins at a time. :)

Oh!!!... so no good for DSO's then?.. I am going to have to spend some real money then if i'm going to want pictures of Nebula's, clusters and the like. I thought i was getting there for a minute lol :embarrassed:

I posted here couple times about this set up

I have EQ5 with goto upgrade ... and as i said before ... If i knew back when I was buying it what I know now ... I would have got NEQ6

EQ5 its ok for visual and with bit of luck I managed some 5-10mins exposures ( 50% subs thrown away cos of little bit of wind etc )

so while it is possible to image with 200P on EQ5 its far from ideal

here is example what you can get out of it

http://stargazerslou...pic/147320-m51/

My advice would be, if you going to be "serious" about AP listen to Brantuk :) get NEQ6

HI guy's..... Can anyone please tell me if its worth up grading my EQ5 with the "Synscan pro goto V3 upgrade kit" with the £300 price tag...

Is it a very accurate and precise bit of kit? I don't know whether its better to just go the whole hog and get the HEQ5 pro at £760...( my wife just looked at what i've written and says Its definitely not worth buying either :argue: LOL).. I guess thats answered mu question LOL :crybaby2:

Hi Vince,

well it depends on what you wanna do with that. If you need a go-to setup (as you stated: to locate objects easier) then you might consider the upgrade or just sell the current one and add up the upgrade money to get a new Heq5 Pro (or Syntrek, that could be used as go-to if connected to a computer, if I'm not wrong!).

If you need some imaging gear, of course the Heq5 would be a better choice, however, some very patient people got wonderful results with a 200p on a Eq5 + RA motor (this would be even enough to keep your objects in the FOV). That would be a much cheaper solution.

How to convince your wife that such astro gear is worth the money? Tell her that when you'll discover a new planet or comet you'll name it after her :D

Clear Skies

HI TzuiRiky.. the more comments i get the more i'm confused :undecided:.. I want to get great results with the least amount of expense ( keeping her in doors happy) and like some of the guy's on here have stated, It may not be my thing and i'll have wasted my money, I think i'll give it a try with a RA motor and see what kind off results i'm getting, Then if i'm getting really into it then maybe up grading :laugh: ....mentioned what you said to the wife... She said she's got a few names for me :argue: LOL

" I think i'll give it a try with a RA motor and see what kind off results i'm getting, Then if i'm getting really into it then maybe up grading"

This is a good way to go. Build up gradually from there. Actually getting the subs is the easy bit - there's a whole load of post processing to do - stacking and aligning, adding in lights, darks, and bias frames, then tweaking the image in photoshop or such like - all takes time and experience. So an incremental approach building up experience is thoroughly recommended.

Start with a tracking motor - see what you get - learn to judge conditions and get a feel for how your equipment works - and it will soon become apparent what your next upgrade should be. Meantime, a good book like "Making Every Phton Count" by Steve Richards (Steppenwolf on SGL) is an excellent buy (only £20) that takes you through all stages from set up to final image.

Post your fist images up on here and folks will be only too keen to give help and advice :)

I would also suggest you have a look at Quatermass's photo album. He also has the 200p on EQ 5 and has some spectacular images!!

Just taken a look at Quatermass's images and they are very good... Thanks for sharing that with me Faruni :icon_salut:

Oh!!!... so no good for DSO's then?.. I am going to have to spend some real money then if i'm going to want pictures of Nebula's, clusters and the like. I thought i was getting there for a minute lol :embarrassed:

Fine for DSOs - well the brighter on such as m31 and m13!

Obviously the more you spend, the easier it gets.

I started with an old EQ5 with a clock drive. I then bought an HEQ5 and then recently upgraded to an NEQ6. Each upgrade made life easier than the last one but for a cost.

You can get DSO pictures to be proud of, with a very modest set up.

Archived