Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Street lighting-U turn?

SteveNickolls

Where Parish Councils are concerned there can be a good deal of inertia, ignorance and conservatism to overcome. There are plenty with a councillor or two who just wants to preserve everything the way it is or who thinks they know how things should be done, regardless of what the law actually has to say on the matter.

Hit the nail right on the I think.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spoke to my local parish and district councillors about switching the street lights off from 12am to 5am in our village. They told me that they would have to contact every resident in the village eligable to vote and obtain a majority descision in favour of switching them off before they would even consider the practicalities of doing so. I asked if they could/would undertake such a survey and was told that it was not economically viable to do so as the cost could be more than would be saved in a fiscal year. They would possibly reconsider if enough of the residents wrote in asking them to do so. I then asked what they would consider "enough residents" and was told it would have to be at least 50%.

What a lot of old shoemakers!!!

I think the people who answered your query don't know what they are on about.

First step is to establish who has responsibility for the road lighting. In Nottinghamshire it is the County Council. Not a district. Not a parish.

I suspect you have had a response from someone without responsibility - or knowledge of their responsibility!

As for asking and getting a majority. Do they do this when reviewing school budgets? Before road repairs? Before emptying dustbins?

I think you get the drift that councils are empowered to take decisions without further involved consultation.

As for cost vs benefit. Can so many other councils around the country who have adopted switch-off be wrong?

If you make a written enquiry, and request a written response, they usually put in a bit more effort. This is because their answers are traceable and therefore accountable.

An incorrect or misleading 'off the cuff' verbal/phone response can be denied later.

Keep at 'em!

David.

If you make a written enquiry, and request a written response, they usually put in a bit more effort. This is because their answers are traceable and therefore accountable.

An incorrect or misleading 'off the cuff' verbal/phone response can be denied later.

Keep at 'em!

David.

Or buy a hands free phone and record them. Firstly say you are recording the conversation and say if they do not mind being recorded. If they say no then ask to speak to someone who does.

This has some wonderful effects on council people.

1. They can be held accountable for saying the wrong thing.

2. Anything they say can be referred back to them.

3. Saying you are recording them gives then the scares.

4. Other companies record "for training purposes". You record for idiocy.

5. It shows chain of command. If no one is willing to speak, then they are the leather under the shoe. You need to speak to the foot if they are not willing.

6. It's a good bargin tool. Any slip up on their part and you can cite it as and when needed.

7. Not only does it cover them if they mess up, it covers you if they say "sorry that conversation never happened".

8. Get their name, surname and their department then continue. If they mess up it is brown trouser time when you provide evidence against them if useful.

And so on.

Basically tell them you are recording and if they are okay with it. Do not let them fall on their sword as it will look bad. Be nice, very polite and mind your P&Q's when talking. You will be surprised how well you get treated and if they are arrogant and flippant then they will sound the like the bad people and you have evidence along with letters stating whatever is stated.

Where Parish Councils are concerned there can be a good deal of inertia, ignorance and conservatism to overcome. There are plenty with a councillor or two who just wants to preserve everything the way it is or who thinks they know how things should be done, regardless of what the law actually has to say on the matter.

James

Got the same problem with our Parish councilor regarding the Warwickshire switch off. I have had to write to the local paper to counter his nonsence letter about it leading to a crime wave.......

All my questions were asked on behalf of a local residents energy conservation group at the local Parish Council meeting and have been entered into the minutes of said meeting.

The problem appears to be that whilst the council installed street lights in local towns and the larger villages they didn't in the smaller outlying villages. The street lighting in these villages was paid for by the local residents themselves, the money being raised through a series of fund raising events and by donations. Once the lighting was installed and commisioned the council "adopted" them and became responsible for their upkeep and for paying the electricity bill and added extra lights as and when they saw fit.

The councils main concern is that many of the residents that worked so hard to get street lighting installed are still living in the villages concerned and may be upset by a descision to turn the lights off, hence the need to have a majority of residents supporting the proposal.

The good news is that the local energy group has received funding from the Parish Council to conduct a survey of all the local residences to assess the energy efficiency of the properties ( types of heating, levels of insulation etc. etc.). The energy group can now ask the question as part of the survey so we will have exact figures to give to the council. :grin: :grin: :grin:

I'll post the results as soon as we have them (about 8 weeks hopefully). Fingers crossed.

Archived