Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

W/C 25th June

swamp thing

Hi All

Another week of short nights me fears. My weather app isn't predicting much in the way of clear skies anywa (not that that's much to swear by) . If anyone fancies giving it a bash this week stick a post on. :)

The moon will be getting brighter towards the end of the week anyway so if anyone does fancy it, earlier in the week would be better.

Ps have you got your focuser yet Darren? Still waiting for mine. :(

Hi Steve,

It doesn't look that inspiring does it :( That said, it's early starts for me this week too so double :( !

We've just come back from a short break in Exmoor. One of the reasons we went there because of the dark sky reserve status it has. We were lucky to have one clear night down there - wow doesn't really do it justice! By far the best sky I have seen even if it was one of the shortest ones of the year. I so wish we had skies like that here. There was no sign of orange sky glow anywhere. I really must make the trip to Bignor with you guys when the nights get longer :)

Sounds great down there Lee, with this weather you were lucky to get one clear night too.

Bignor is a noticeable step up from RC, best dark sky I've seen with a scope and still within a reasonable drive.

Moonlite arrived today, have just got home and got it out the box. Looks exceptional and both coarse and fine movement is so smooth. Now to find the right sized allen key and put it on the scope :grin:

Dark, ink black skies are just great eh? Looking at planning a few trips to some really dark ones this autumn. I shall put some posts up for anyone interested and will try and find some local B&B,s for those interested that don't fancy camping. I think Mel knows a couple of good campsites on or near Exmoor that could well be worth a look. I have a site in mid Wales that has spectacular skies but is pretty remote, I'll see what's nearby it.

Bignor is pretty good for a reasonably local site, it takes me just over an hour to get there but it's well worth it. It's a considerable improvement on RC. When the nights get a little longer we can start putting a few trips down there together.

Your gonna love that moonlite Darren they're such a pleasure to use after the standard ones.

The moonlite is on the scope, I spent more time trying to find the right sized allen key than fitting it :laugh:

Just needs first light now, but already tested it with diagonal and large EP attached and it's smooooooth.

Archived