Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dobsonian with its silly (D)SLR connection

Astro-Nova

On this and other forums I read Dobsonians are unsuitable for DSLR because of the weight.

I all agree here and will improvise to try anyway to make the most of it.

But has anyone got any idea why these silly scope designers put a 'dslr connection' on a dob in the first place?

Before I bought my 200 dob I read there was a connection, then read further and found out it was unsuitable for astrophotography. Now I got the scope there is a connection and like I said before Iam going to give it a shot anyway. But to me it is a bit contradictive putting something on a scope that your not even be able to use as the scope is not suitable for it. Why putting that connection on there then?

or am im missing the point as it says 'Direct SLR Camera Connection' and SLR is different to DSLR? - I have a lot to learn :)

Becasue it's a standard focuser that Skywatcher use on all their newtonians. A dob is just a newtonian on a rocker box instead of an EQ or alt-az mount. You could easily take your OTA off your dob mount, add some tube rings and dovetail and stick it on an EQ mount to use it for imaging.

Tony..

Something to add a bit more advertising for and hopefully a few more sales. Basically it sounds good.

Lets face it although doubtful it appears to have swayed you a little. You decided to buy the scope and are now giving it a try.

Equally even on SGL when people ask about astrophotography they get told it is possible with a dobsonian. Someone on another forum asked this about 18 months back, got swamped with Yes of course you can, they bought a 250 dob then found No of course you cannot. They left with pretty poor opinions of astronomers.

A bright moon is possible, really after that forget it, but then a bright moon is possible on a camera tripod and a 300mm lens anyway (better with a 400mm) and you can use the single point exposure option to do lots automatically without having to guess.

Thank you all, these replies have helped so far,

oh dont get me wrong, I got a shot of the moon, I even imaged jupiter and saturn by simply placing my phone in front of the lens with satisfying results. But I do want more out of the scope and wanted to clear up some more things about the slr connection and what my options are

Archived