Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Testing my Canon Macro

E_ri_k

Thought Id set up the HEQ5 and try some widefield shots with my Canon 100mm Macro lens. I was surprised how good they came out. I had previously been using my 24-105 L series, which produced terrible coma. I have high hopes for it in the future!

Antares was 1 Hr at f 2.8. Carina was 1 Hr at f4.

I think at f4 the stars are a bit tighter, but it has introduced a bit more coma around the edges?

Erik

post-14838-0-01412400-1340335403_thumb.j

post-14838-0-94566800-1340335532_thumb.j

Nice result :)

Which version of the Macro lens is it the standard EF or the L - I haven't pointed my 100/2.8 EF Macro at the sky yet but your results make me think it's time that I did...

I didn't do much with the 24-105/f4L either it's definitely not parafocal for Astro across the zoom range especially when used in conjunction with an clip in LP filter...

If only the rain would stop and the clouds part plus theres very little if any real darkness at the moment :(

Peter...

Nice result :)

Which version of the Macro lens is it the standard EF or the L - I haven't pointed my 100/2.8 EF Macro at the sky yet but your results make me think it's time that I did...

I didn't do much with the 24-105/f4L either it's definitely not parafocal for Astro across the zoom range especially when used in conjunction with an clip in LP filter...

If only the rain would stop and the clouds part plus theres very little if any real darkness at the moment :(

Peter...

It is the standard EF lens Peter. Shame about the weather. Give it a shot though, when it clears, I think works great!

Erik

Yeah, prime focus camera lenses are the way to go for really good imaging, the trouble is trying to find them these days as the manufacturers just seem to make zoom lenses. The cheapest way to do it with Canon cameras is to by old (but still very good) FD fit lenses and use and FD to EOS EF adapter.

Yeah, prime focus camera lenses are the way to go for really good imaging, the trouble is trying to find them these days as the manufacturers just seem to make zoom lenses. The cheapest way to do it with Canon cameras is to by old (but still very good) FD fit lenses and use and FD to EOS EF adapter.

That's interesting - I've seen the FD lenses on sale - glad to know you can get an adapter thank you :) I have a couple of lenses from my film days when I used a Pentax Spotmatic and will be using those (I have an adapter ring). 55mm f1.8, 135mm f2.8 and 35nn f3.5.

Gina, I think you can get an adapter for old Pentax lense (M42 I believe) to Canon EF as well, so don't chuck them out. Fleabay is probably your best bet.

Yes, I already have an M42 to EF adapter ring and certainly won't be getting rid of my old lenses - they're very good quality :) Yes the Pentax/Praktica thread is M42 x 1mm pitch (unlike the T thread which is M42 x 0.75mm pitch).

Archived