Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on DIY camera adaptor

stonemonkeylives

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone might give some advice or point my in the general direction for making an adaptor to fit a Samsung ST500 compact camera to my Sky-Watcher 130p statrak telescope for astro-imaging. I have been playing with idea to use it for general astro use for a while now, so after some research I discovered it has a CCD sensor in it and at 12.2MP I think it would be cheaper than working out for a dedicated astronomy camera. Unfortunately the camera only has a 4x zoom but for lunar and planetary images. I was thinking of someway of attaching the camera to the 1.25inch focuser on my scope but that isn't permanently attached to either the scope or camera, as we use the camera for other things too.

I haven't had chance to search anything yet due to work that and I've come to trust your expertise over most internet sources :D so any help with this would much appreciated.

sent from Gherkin Muncher mk .III (commonly known as a Galaxy S2)

You will need a bracket to support the caamera such as this one http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/skywatcher-universal-camera-adapter.html or this one http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/baader-microstage-clickstop-digital-camera-adapter.html. The adaptor clamps around the telescope eyepiece and supports the camera on a platform.

Peter

I have one like the FLO one that I used when I was doing afocal imaging with my antiquated Canon S40 point-n-shoot camera. I no longer use it.

Archived