Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

N Devon / Hartland quay area?

Mike73

I seem to spend way too much time looking at http://www.need-less.org.uk/ and Google Earth looking for dark sites and the one place which I'd love to go to in the winter is the Hartland Quay area. It has 6.74 mag skies which makes it the darkest location in the SW and one of the best places in the UK!

Does anyone here live in that area or observed there before and could give some pointers about good places to go?

Its a good 1 1/4 hour drive for me but well worth it for an occasional treat I think . :)

Hi, not observed there yet but someone on here has as they have mentioned it to me in the past, being within an hour's drive for me from Bideford. Looks less than that on a map but the roads from A39 to quay are minor & slow.

Been there on walks etc. a few years ago and as I recall there is a car park and a pub at the quay so was planning to revisit at some point over the summer to check out exactly where could set up scope etc.

Hartland Quay / North Devon

Thanks Eastridge.
I have been up there quite a few times before surfing,hiking and camping and agree that the roads are slow going but I guess that would go hand in hand with these secluded dark sites.

The pub at Hartland quay leaves its lights on till way after closing time and they are really bright so best avoid that immediate area. Another problem with going too close to the coast is the height of the cliffs.

There must be some really good spots around there but I'm struggling to find them on Google Earth but keep us updated if you do visit the area and find somewhere. :)

Hi all,

Rode up to Hartland Point on the bike today. There is a carpark in between the lighthouse and the Radome. It has excellent views SW thru N to E. The South views are partly obscured (12 degrees from horizontal) by a large bank to the field above. However, the field above has a 10M x 10M Helipad on it which has great views 360 degrees.

The carpark and Helipad are privately owned and locked in the evenings. Not to be put off I sought out the owners (Malcolm & Di Price) and asked if we could use the carpark and Helipad and they agreed as long as Malcolm could have a look through a couple of the scopes. Deal done. They duly gave me their phone number asking that I/we ring them first so they can unlock the gates so we can come and go as we please.

I have taken a couple of photos of the carpark but my phone got totally soaked on the ride home so I can't upload them until it dries out, hopefully later this evening.

If anyone would like the Prices phone number just PM me and I'll PM it back as they don't want their phone number published on an open forum which is fair enough.

First of all, you rode your bike to Hartland Point??? :eek: :eek: :eek: That must be at least a 100 mile round trip!!

I don't suppose you took a detour and went to The Corn Dolly at South Molton to try there cream teas aswell? :grin:

That helipad looks an amazing place to observe from!! That will be pure luxury compared to the usual standing in sheep poo places we are used too! ;):grin:

I think you must have got some kind of record for the amount of effort ever put in to find a dark site! Thanks Luke and looking forward to trying it already.

Well done Luke, bravery beyond the call of duty :grin: :grin:

When you said you rode your bike I thought you meant a motor bike but I take it from Mikes reply that it was a push bike .... phew!! I should have thought a stop at the Corn Dolly would have been well in order. Did the people you spoke to happen to say anything about camping there as some us would have a fair distance to travel?

Many thanks for your efforts and I look forward to seeing your photos (hope your phone is OK) :huh: :huh:

No its a motorbike. Nearer 200miles by the time I checked out Lantic Bay and Bellever too. :grin: Had sun all the way round until I got 10 miles from home and then the heavens opened and boy did it rain. Great ride out tho.

ahhhh ok, don't know why I presumed push bike! :confused::rolleyes:

What did you think of Bellver and Lantic? I've never been to either places in the daylight.

No its a motorbike. Nearer 200miles by the time I checked out Lantic Bay and Bellever too. :grin: Had sun all the way round until I got 10 miles from home and then the heavens opened and boy did it rain. Great ride out tho.

Nothing like a motor bike on a sunny day Luke is there? Shame about the rain though. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hi All

Last year I was asked by the local Hartland school if I would be willing to set up a couple of telescopes for a related school project. I set up on the middle car park above the hotel at Hartland Quay. The first time we were completly clouded out. The second time also looked a dissapointment, but when I arrived at the quay, it somehow magically cleared. I had about 25 parents and children turn out and we all had a great time with lots of questions. The wind was a little chilly and there was some minor light pollution from the flashing lighthouse but little from the hotel. Overall a great location, even better if you have a motorhome to make hot drinks and also for loo facilities. I would certainly use it again, approx 30 minutes drive for me from Bideford.

Exmoor National Park has been designated the first International Dark Sky Reserve in Europe. I understand the street lights get turned off in towns and villages.

Lookout for star parties in the future.

Finally got the phone dried and it seems to work ok. Photos aren't that good but give an idea of what's there.

View looking North

View looking East

View looking South

View looking West

As far as camping goes I have to admit I didn't ask. Doh! I'm planning to ride up again next week (weather permitting) so I'll ask them. There seems to be plenty of level fields around the site so we could be lucky.

A Corn Dolly cream tea appears to have my name on it. :icon_porc:

Exmoor National Park has been designated the first International Dark Sky Reserve in Europe. I understand the street lights get turned off in towns and villages.

Lookout for star parties in the future.

Exmoor being a dark sky site is really exciting and I wish I lived nearer, but great for you Devonians. :laugh: :laugh:

Archived