Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

first solar observation

ponytale

Hi all , I finally adapted an old 102mm meade ota into a solar scope with a badder film filter, I had it in time for the transit of venus but here in Perth australia we were completly cloud covered for the whole day , pooh pooh, I did manage a short glimmer of sun this past Friday and readily saw two distinct sun spots before the clouds rolled in for more rain and heavy winds of 125kms per hour, the forecast is for more cloud and storms for at least a week !!! this is what happens when i buy new kit. I can't wait to have another look and take some pics .

ps is there any other filter /film that goes over the top of this film to show more detail ?

Sorry, nothing you can add to the solar film that will improve it's already good performance. Many users report good results using green continuum filters at the eyepiece. The next step up is hydrogen-alpha, a whole new ballpark in detail, and expense!

I had my first solar observing session in May using a white light type filter.

I've read for imaging, a green filter helps bring out the contrast in the grain a little & is nearly as good as the continuum filters

Here is one of the continuum filters: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-solar-continuum-filter.html

Top tip for Solar observing, don't forget to cover your guide camera up like I did whcih resulted in a fried guide camera!

Archived