Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fullerscope/AWR hand controller - help please

I am getting a second hand 10" fullerscope on a Mk 3 mount back into operation. I am having difficulty understanding the mode of use of the hand controller - an AWR HC300. Everything seems to work, but it isn't clear what the controls do. Can anyone direct me to a "users manual" or similar? Or can someone who uses one explain it to me?

There are four butons: east and west control the RA motor - so far so good. North and south don't have any discernable effect. The DEC motor ticks over gently all the time - fine. At the bottom are three controls: left a dial marked "x1.3" , "x2" , "x10" . These positions change the speed of RA movement. Centre is a switch between "QUARTZ" and "VFO" and right is a dial marked "VFO ADJUST". Quartz I assume refers to the crystal regulating the DEC tracking rate, so I guess that VFO is to do with correcting for tracking drift. What does VFO stand for and how do these controls operate?

This seems like a very fine bit of kit and the mounting is rock solid. I've cleaned and lubricated and tightened everything and it all moves very smoothly. Following advice on the AWR website I have cleaned all the old grease off the worm drives and used Teflon spray so as not to attract dust, although they don't show much sign of wear so the grease must have been ok. Does anyone have advice as to how good teflon is long term and how often to to respray?

VFO: Variable-Frequency Oscillator ?

Would made sense if you have a Quartz option.

Guessing that it allows you to fine tune the frequency that moves the motors, suspect you wiould need a oscilliscope to get it exact, and I have no idea what exact is.

Thanks to Capricorn and Andrew S for these comments.

Variable Frequency Oscillator sounds very plausible. I had explored the AWR website and manuals and details are available for some controllers but not this one that I could find. The second link Andrew has posted doesn't seem to work. I have emailed AWR but no response yet - I will try to phone in due course as they seem to have a very helpful attitude.

Maybe others can explain the way to use a Variable Frequency Oscillator control. There must be lots of enthusiastic Fullerscope users out here.

The quartz should/might be the star or siderial rate.

Switching to the VFO, will give you the option of changing the frequency to enable you to drive at the lunar time/rate and sun rate, as well as other odd rates.

The above should relate to the driving of the RA motor, as the DEC should only need a nudge now and again if your polar alignment is good.

I could of course be wrong as I'm basing this on various drive correcting units for use on Tal mounts.

Andy.

The quartz should/might be the star or siderial rate.

Switching to the VFO, will give you the option of changing the frequency to enable you to drive at the lunar time/rate and sun rate, as well as other odd rates.

The above should relate to the driving of the RA motor, as the DEC should only need a nudge now and again if your polar alignment is good.

I could of course be wrong as I'm basing this on various drive correcting units for use on Tal mounts.

Andy.

As usual when you ask the question in the right way it begins to answer itself! Andy's comment sent me back to double check. A more systematic check of the actions of the various combinations lead to the following :

- north/south buttons alter the DEC, moderated by x1.3 , x2 or x10 speeds, regardless of the other settings. This would be to help you to home in on a target?

- with the centre switch to QUARTZ the east/west buttons speed and slow the RA tracking whilst held down, and ADJUST VFO has no discernible effect. Same benefit? Should it go backwards as well in that case? Or is this just to nudge it when it drifts?

- with the centre switch to VFO the east/west buttons have no apparent effect however the VFO dial changes the speed of the RA tracking. This would be to enable tracking of the moon etc as Andy suggests?

Does this sound like I am beginning to make sense of it?

These pages might be of interest......

http://www.awrtech.co.uk/teledriv.htm#QUARTZ

http://www.awrtech.co.uk/teledriv.htm#VFO

http://www.awrtech.co.uk/system5.htm

As Kai mentioned above, when you can get a hold of AWR, I have no doubt they'll help you out 100%. I've heard nothing but good reports regarding them.

Cheers,

Andy.

ps: If you can, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to see some pics of your mount and drive system. Many years back I'd drool over BC&F's catalogue.

Archived