Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eye relief with a Barlow

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can get 100 degree eyepieces in the 1.25" fitting - the 13mm Tele Vue Ethos is one such. As you suspect, very expensive though. I used to have an eyepiece called a Widescan III which had an 84 degree field of view and a focal length of 20mm. That one was the widest true field I've found in the 1.25" fitting.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep - it's a positive feature when barlowing EP's with tight eye relief but can be a pain at the other end of the scale when eye relief gets over long and it's difficult to find the correct eye position - you end up "hovering" over the eyepiece which can be rather hit and miss.

Yep, I noticed this the other night when I barlowed my stock 25mm ep. The ER was too big to be honest, I had to nearly stand in next doors garden to view it properly. Barlowing my 8mm BST was great however, slightly blurry but much better than I thought 300x mag on Saturn would be.

I think a 15mm npl is due soonish...

Yep, I noticed this the other night when I barlowed my stock 25mm ep. The ER was too big to be honest, I had to nearly stand in next doors garden to view it properly. Barlowing my 8mm BST was great however, slightly blurry but much better than u thought 300x mag on Saturn would be.

I think a 15mm npl is due soonish...

I've noticed this too. The stock 25mm EP is almost impossible to find the right place to look into the eyepiece, if you press your eye up to the eyepiece you can only get about 1/2 - 2/3 of a circle of light (or sky).

Archived