Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M101 - Reprocessed

Gina

Just 24 frames ISO1600 180s plus darks and flats stacked in DSS then the unadjusted TIFF file processed in PS, cropped, scaled and converted to JPEG for here. (Assuming the image size limits are still the same - must admit, I haven't checked.) I still have a lot to learn about PS so this is just basic processing.

P.S. The JPEG looks very poor compared with the TIFF image or display in PS.

post-13131-0-04550900-1338986772_thumb.j

Very nice Gina! Quite good signal on this faint galaxy for the amount of exposure. I'm told the new size limit is 1366x1024, by the way.

P.S. The JPEG looks very poor compared with the TIFF image or display in PS.

Annoying isn't it - try dropping to 8bit then applying a very gentle noise reduction before "exporting for web". I normally find I also need to up the brightness slightly for the forum. (At least, for the old forum... :icon_scratch: )

Very nice Gina! Quite good signal on this faint galaxy for the amount of exposure.

Thank you.
I'm told the new size limit is 1366x1024, by the way.
Ah, right - thanks :)
Annoying isn't it - try dropping to 8bit then applying a very gentle noise reduction before "exporting for web". I normally find I also need to up the brightness slightly for the forum. (At least, for the old forum... :icon_scratch: )
Thanks for the hint :)

Nice capture Gina and a clean looking processing. Perhaps one notch too red in the background?

Thank you :) Yes, you're right it is a touch too red.

Also try exporting in png rather than jpg - there's less data loss from compression, so that might help.

Along with the tips above you might be able to make a pretty darn good showing - not that the one on view now is bad at all - I'm green with envy! :)

Also try exporting in png rather than jpg - there's less data loss from compression, so that might help.

Thanks - I think it is a bit better :)
Along with the tips above you might be able to make a pretty darn good showing - not that the one on view now is bad at all - I'm green with envy! :)
Thank you :) Getting PS has certainly made a huge difference :) I'm finding it easier to use than GIMP too :)

Very Nice capture Gina some great detail in that image you should be very pleased with that one. :cheesy:

Getting better :) PS is a BIG help and I've only just scratched the surface of what it can do. Going from 8 to 16 bit image depth has made the main difference so far.

I now have my "new" (second hand) Windows 7 Pro box set up as my main PC - the linux box is getting pretty ancient now (it needs a spring clean too) - the new box is much faster. This is the first time I've used Win 7 too and I'm finding I like it - it has some nice features. Very pleased with my deal from Morgans - cheap copy of Win 7 Pro with a good PC thrown in for good measure :D

You're dead right there Mark :D Seems ages since capturing any subs :( Mind you theres only a couple of hours of sufficient dark for the faint fuzzies. Not so bad for globular clusters. And if we get any more rain I'll have a moat again!! No Venus transit to be seen either :(

Too good for this pub!

There are loads of good you-tube tutorials out there for PS, but yes, it's still going to take some time to learn how to get the best out of it.

I'm using Paint Shop Pro - which is very similar and normally just use the built in auto presets. With this one I tried more "stuff" but it wasn't really successful. Must go back to basics and try again :)

Too good for this pub!

There are loads of good you-tube tutorials out there for PS, but yes, it's still going to take some time to learn how to get the best out of it.

I'm using Paint Shop Pro - which is very similar and normally just use the built in auto presets. With this one I tried more "stuff" but it wasn't really successful. Must go back to basics and try again :)

Yes, I'm aware of the tutorials on YouTube - been looking at some of them. Helped already with improving my processing :) I rather like PS even at this early stage :)

Archived