Proper Newbie From Rainham Kent

RalphEQ2

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one of the main things I mention to people is (after you are happy she is focusing etc and ready to go) never expect to see too much, you will see plenty more than you ever have if that makes sense, but visualising seeing those beautiful items that are shown in radiant colour on the net and in magazines will not happen. You will see faint blobs, patches of light, so be prepared for that. However, you will also see superb structures on the moon, wonderful views of things like the pleiades (the seven sisters) and some other items that will blow your mind, like a small saturn, jupiter and her moons.

You mentioned your mother in law is 77, hopefully she is agile and reasonably fit, as the scope you have will twist and turn all over the place, sometimes reaching angles you never knew existed, as such she may need at times to twist the scope so she can view comfortably, there are ways of doing this and is something to raise another day, so make sure she is ok standing for periods of a time, or again you may need to adapt for her, the reason i mention this is that if people find something uncomfortable they tend to walk away. The scope you have will give some wonderful moon watching. If you are unable to view across a distance in the daylight to see all is ok, then (and this is hopeful in the current weather) look for over flying jets and especially their trails, of course away from the sun, but point the scope at those trails then focus, everything is a learning curve, so the better you get to know the scope in the day, the easier it will become in the dark. Welcome by the way.

Hi Ralph and welcome to the forum. Good luck with the new setup - takes a while to get used to what goes where and what to twiddle with in what order, but I'm sure you'll get some good results and nice views once the clouds roll back!

Archived