Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need help choosing new set up please people!

stargazer1980

To my disappointment and to no fault of Steve's at FLO Skywatcher aren't releasing their 300PX EQ6 pro till end of the year/early next, so was wanting to put it to you guys as to any suggestions as to what i could buy!

My total budget is between the 1500-2000 mark! I'm wanting something for visual as well as something to start me on my path into astrophotography! Maybe a refractor piggy backed on a reflector using either one as a guide scope changing between both for visual and photographic work! EQ6 DOES need to be included as thats a dead cert!!!!

It doesn't need to be light as I'm 6ft 5 and not exactly a light weight in the lifting department!

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Darren :D

For visual you could buy a 12" Dob, some tube rings and mount the scope on an EQ6? For imaging you'd probably be better of getting a decent short f# refractor....for £2000 you'll get a decent setup for both visual and imaging.

Not sure if your budget includes the EQ6 but assuming it doesn't, if I had that budget and was starting again, I would go for:

Skywatcher Explorer 250PX (EQ6 PRO) - £1295

Evostar 80ED PRO 2 - £425

The explorer 10" for visual and a bit of imaging and the ED80 for imaging.... that comes to £1720, minus 10% SGL discount = £1548 leaving you enough cash for a Canon 350D and adaptors... or, a 3rd scope :DSkymax 150 PRO - £440

That way, if you go the three scope route you've got your visual scope, your imaging scope and your planet/moon killer.... Thats a whole lot of kit for your money!

Not sure if your budget includes the EQ6 but assuming it doesn't, if I had that budget and was starting again, I would go for:

Skywatcher Explorer 250PX (EQ6 PRO) - £1295

Evostar 80ED PRO 2 - £425

The explorer 10" for visual and a bit of imaging and the ED80 for imaging.... that comes to £1720, minus 10% SGL discount = £1548 leaving you enough cash for a Canon 350D and adaptors... or, a 3rd scope :DSkymax 150 PRO - £440

That way, if you go the three scope route you've got your visual scope, your imaging scope and your planet/moon killer.... Thats a whole lot of kit for your money!

You couldn't go far wrong with a line up like that! However, as I'm no 6' 4' weightlifter I would go for the HEQ5pro rather than the '6' and save some 'dosh' for extras. :)

CW

EQ6 ED80 and PX200. This is assuming you are going for the SXV H9 as your camera.

EQ6 - no brainer for this budget, will carry all your kit with plenty to spare.

ED80 - hits the sweet spot for for the H9 or the Atik 16HR. Get yourself a focal reducer - Celestron 0.63 or better still an Astrophysics 0.67 (+tapered nosepiece)

PX250 - high performance imaging scope with loads of aperture for visual. Image with the H9 when the seeing is good.

This gives you focal lengths of 400 600 and 1250mm.

Archived