First Impressions of NEQ6

Hi All,

After waiting an eternety (2 days since date of order LOL) my NEQ6 arrived today, just to make it extra special I had just pulled up in my new company car a renault megane sport tourer GTline half hour earlier with just 8 miles on the clock.

Anyway back to the mount,

firstly the weight of the mount, 15kg isnt as heavy when just reading it, when carrying 15kg it is heavier

secondly it was so easy to set up, as simple as my eq3-2

thirdly, apart from my stupid mistake of putting date in correctly to find the syscan wants it the wrong way round i.e. mm/dd/yyyy and then me putting the year in as 2011 setting the handset up was virtually hasstle free

A few little likes and dislikes,

Like the way the counterweight shaft slides back into the mount when going away, also like the fact that the mount comes with the shaft extension bar.

not sure wether it's me but, when this is advertised there is no mention of a power lead which comes with it so I ordered a skytron power lead at £14, If they are going to advertise a power option with this mount surely it should be a 230v adapter for it if the 12v cigarette adapter comes with it.

Also I may be wrong again but I was under the impression that it comes with 2 dovetail bars but mine just come with 1.

Over all, my first impressions are very satisfied, problem now is its going to be cloudy for the next millenium so Ill have to play with my new car instead.

post-23757-133877783136_thumb.jpg

I have the SynTrek version (same mount, non-goto handset), my first impression was 'Look at the size of that thing!' It is definitely a multi-trip set up effort for me due to the sheer size and weight of the mount itself (minus the tripod), and my fear of dropping it on my foot!

One gets the impression that this mount will take any of the commonly available OTAs with ease. I do sometimes wish it had manual slow-motion handles too though as an option, without the need for a power source etc.

Incidentally, the Celestron Omni CG-4 is like a mini-me version of this mount, I just got one of these so I'm yet to find out what I can comfortably push on it.

Have not managed to accurately polar align mine yet, had a good go when I first got it but seemed to fail miserably. This was my first mount with a polar scope.

Thanks for the review and having one myself, I can confirm that it is a very good mount at a very good price. You think the mount head is heavy, try carrying it with pillar extension attached, that will make a very big hole in the ground if you drop that lot!:hello2: I think the altitude adjustment 'T' bolts could be better, though I suppose in fairness you're not using them all the time. However my real niggle, is the fine threaded polar scope cover. Every time I screw that thing on after polar alignment, it always takes me a couple of times to engage the thread correctly! :):D Why use such a fine thread? I do however like the ticking noise once it's tracking - very reassuring in the dark.

You certainly won't regret buying it.

James

I just got one of these so I'm yet to find out what I can comfortably push on it.

I chose this mount because I want to upgrade to a 250pds and decided that get the mount first, use it with my 150p to learn how to get the most from it. I was told that this is very capable of carrying a 250pds with st80 guide scope and dslr and should last me for years.

Kev

I had my NEQ6 Pro delivered Wednesday & I have given it a test in my living room with the 200P & ST80 sat on top & it copes fine with the weight. The motors slew around nicely & it makes a satisfying noise as it tracks. I am hoping to update to a Quattro 10CF later in the year but for now I'll stick with the 200P.

I to was surprised on how easy it was to set up & I love the illuminated Polar Scope as that will make polar alignment a little easier.

It seems to be well made in pretty much all areas except the bolts so I'll be ordering a better set at some point in the future.

My only niggle with mine as there seems to be some play in both axis more so in the RA axis. Is this normal for these mounts? As it's got warranty I dont really want to start fettling with it & voiding it.

Apart from that I can't wait to give it go outdoors although with all this new shiney stuff I can't see that happening for a while so sorry everyone about the cloud cover :hello2:

tich, you might want to take a look at AstroBaby's maintenance guide here on how to tighten things up. All equipment is made at its price point but I wouldn't expect there to be any play, though of course I don't have your mount in front of me to judge precisely. Have a read of the above, a little tightening isn't going to harm your mount. Failing that, check back with the supplier.

James

James

Thanks James

Yeah I saved that in my favourites so I'll have a look at it later, since I've been messing about with it & had it tracking for an hour or 2 the play isn't noticabale only when I've parked the scope am I able to move it slightly. Even with that its far more solid than the EQ5 that I have. As I live in a pretty exposed area a gust of wind & the scope used to wobble all over the place, this happened last week when I was trying to image Saturn so I can't see the NEQ6 budging at all.

I also see what you mean about the fine thread on the polar scope cover too as it is a bit of a bind to screw back on, although its better than having it fall off all the time like the EQ5 so swings & roundabouts I guess.

I'm not dismissing the EQ5 as it is a good mount & it has served me well, it will be a shame to see it go but after having a nice bonus from work I think I would have been a fool not to go for one of these.

I to was surprised on how easy it was to set up & I love the illuminated Polar Scope as that will make polar alignment a little easier.

Apart from that I can't wait to give it go outdoors although with all this new shiney stuffr

I looked through the polar scope but not with it switched on only just looked again and yes its illuminated, no more thumbs and torches for me.

Just need a few clear night to play with tracking, Ascom/eqmod etc...

I can say that when I got my scope with EQ3-2 mount I thought god thats big, but put this beast next to it and it looks so much inferior, but the EQ3-2 is a great little mount and shouldnt be frowned upon.

Kev.

There's a option on the hand controller to dim or brighten the polar scope LED..

Cant find it, andit doesnt show it on page 15 of the Synscan manual which is a drop down table of functions of the handset.

Hope if it can someone knows how to.

Kev.

Archived