Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GSO or Skywatcher

Congratulations on your new scope :smiley:

.... There are a lot of comments on all forums saying that there is no need for a truss system on a 10'' dob. I would disagree. This thing is very heavy although it will fit in a small car even when assembled.......

I think that might be because truss tube scopes (the Skywatchers and Lightbridges anyway) weigh a little more than the solid tube counterparts in the 12" and smaller apertures, concerns that a truss arrangement may allow a little more flex in the optical tube and optical alignment and that, if that are used where there are light pollution issues, you need a light shroud with the truss design to maximise contrast.

On the issue of Bob's Knobs, well worth getting for both the primary and secondary mirror cells in my opinion. On the 12" Lightbridge that I owned the primary collimation springs needed replacing too (a common issue with scopes using the 12" GSO optics / mirror cells). I don't know if this is needed in the 10" size though.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would 2nd Johns recommendation re the primary collimation springs. I replaced them on mine (5 minute job) and it made a world of a difference. The Bobs Knobs are so effective I have since removed the locking screws altogether.

Agreed, they are completely unnecessary with the correct springs in place. I cannot understand how GSO haven't sorted this out already. It can only add a few pence at most to the overall package?

Problem with adding just few extra pence here and there, means a few more pounds cost which once everyone has sliced their cake and taken a share, means the overall cost would be much higher.

Upgrading the bits we want is much more cost effective.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Agreed, they are completely unnecessary with the correct springs in place. I cannot understand how GSO haven't sorted this out already. It can only add a few pence at most to the overall package?

Baffles me too - it's been known about since the Meade LB 12" was launched around 2006 :huh:

Replacing the springs could be a little daunting for newcomers to scopes.

Just ordered Bobs knobs screws and springs direct from the US. The only dealer in Europe was in Holland and the payment method was too difficult to fathom. It took all of two minutes to order using PP from Bobs. One of the UK shops really needs to stock these items!

wow!!!!! I just used my 10'' LB for the first time. Saturn was very nice with a 26mm 2'' eyepiece but not very big. I then used a H12.5mm with a cheap x2 barlow. Words fail me. The gap between the planet and the rings was very distinct and I could just make out the bands on the surface. This is from my balcony in a far from dark sky with led lights on the balcony shining on the mouth of the tube and my eyes far from being adjusted. Also the scope is not collimated correctly and was was not cooled down fully.

The best bit was getting my hard to impress German wife to have a look. She literally took a sharp intake of breath. 'it looks like it does on the TV' was one of her comments. 'Hammer' was another comment. Roughly translated it means really good.

Can't wait to take it to a dark site and spend some quality time with my new scope.

Thanks Zul

The scope is second hand and is missing a collimation screw so I set it as best as possible. Waiting for my Bobs Knobs to arrive. For what was a quick look through from my balcony I was very happy.

Archived