NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Powermate drawbacks?

Mike73

I know Powermate's have got great reputations but what if any are the draw backs from using them? I'm talking about the x2.5 in particular.

Just looking for the good and bads about them really. :hello2:

The only draw back I can think of is the x2.5 can mean your magnification can get high quickly and as most EP's over 17mm are more beneficial being 2" you may find you don't use it all that much (depending on what EP's you have of course). I have a PM but only have one EP worth using it with and use it mainly for planetary imaging.

Hmmm I actually meant the 2" x2 which probably changes things Spaceboy?

I'm thinking that a 26mm and 16mm would be a good range with a x2 PM.

If it still holds quality wise then I guess the biggest pain would be fiddling about with EP's/PM and 1"1/4/2" adapters?

Hi Mike

I have the 2" x2 Powermate in my eyepiece case and TBH it's probably the best item in there.

Simply a superb tool.

I would opt for the 2" version as the benefits of using your big comfy eyepieces at higher power cant be overstated.

Drawbacks cost, but, it's still cheap when you look at Nagler and Ethis prices. Two Naglers or Ethoi are more expensive than one plus Powermate.:hello2:

I'm talking about the x2.5 in particular.

:hello2:

Hmmm I actually meant the 2" x2 which probably changes things Spaceboy?

QUOTE]

Yes that dose change things. Although I have never had the pleasure of using a 2" PM and I'm sure some one will correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the 2" PM are large and heavy. I am also aware that some members have commented that the flex dobs have balancing issues so you may want to consider getting some sort of counterweight if you intend to use the PM with 2" EP's.

HTH

You are indeed right Nick the 2" Powermate isn't light.

Some counterweighting is required when I use mine in combination with my heavier 2"eyepieces.

The counterweight system I use is a very simple idea involving fixing a magnetic knife rack down the back of my scope. This allows plate weights to be placed on anywhere and slid to balance, simple.

You will find that quite a few big eyepieces will require this on their own anyway.

Here's a pic showing the magnetic knife rack in place on my old 16" Dob.

f70da8da.jpg

Archived