Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What telescope

Hi,

A new arrival to this astronomy game. Can anyone advice on a good scope for astroimaging and observation? I have a Nikon D3000 and all the trimmings but as yet no telescope. Heard that the CPc Gps range are good but I may need a wedge.

All help very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Hi Recceranger,

Before parting with hard earned cash get to a local astro group an see what they have. Most will be delighted to let you have a look through their kit. Astrophotography = big wallet.... Buy with care, buy once. Good book for starting is 'Make Every Photon Count'!.

CLear Skies

The CPC range is on an Alt/Az mount so yes you would need a wedge.

The CPC's are also a long focal length so any tracking errors are amplified. You would also need a focal reducer.

A wedge is expensive, and a focal reducer is not a few pence either.

You need a decent equitorial mount (HEQ5 to start) and a short focal length scope, many use scopes like the ED80's, although triplets are better, also cost more.

Be aware that astrophotography can be very expensive.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I agree with the above book recommendation as it's modestly priced and provides the necessary overview to help you decide how far into imaging you want to go which will then generate an appropriate budget.

James

Many thanks to all. I will take a look round for astro groups and see if I can get a bit of knowledge. The book seems a must. I,ll keep all informed before I splash the dose! I,m no Simon Cowell! Money limit is an issue (a career soldier!).

Again thanks for the help. A really good steer.

FAB

I would like to add that a scope suitable for imaging is not necessarily good for visual use. An ED80 refractor can take beautiful photographs, but aside from some lower power widefield and lunar viewing it is not that good for visual use. A 250mm newtonian has wonderful light gathering capabilities but is so heavy that only an exceptionally expensive mount can bear it for photography.

If you want to do both AP and visual, then I would suggest looking at a cheap 200mm dob for visual use - this is a powerful instrument that doesn't need expensive accessories. The downside is it is manual and you need to find and track the objects yourself (I prefer the motorized and computerized view - but many people swear by manual-drive scopes). Then get a good equatorial mount and put your camera on it with a good lens, no telescope at all. You can take some breathtaking images with a good lens in the range of 70mm to 200mm. If you have a good macro or prime lens in this range, then you have all the optics you need to take astrophotos. For canon cameras you can buy clip-in filters to remove light pollution or isolate narrowband wavelengths from nebulae - I'm not sure if such things are available for Nikon. If not, I've heard you can use 2" eyepiece filters on the front of your lenses with suitable stepper rings.

One more thing to add - if you go for a scope for AP, then you are looking at a big mount like the HEQ5. But if you go for camera lenses you can opt for the EQ3-Pro - cheaper and lighter. Psychobilly (moderator) recently posted some images taken on the back of an EQ3 - have a look at the results.

http://stargazerslounge.com/showthread.php?t=190626

Archived