SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saw something hit the moon last night

Paul9ball

Assuming it was an impact from a meteorite, I would expect you to see a flash of light when it hit. Plus if it was large enough for you to see a cloud of dust it would have been a large impact, likely causing a large flash of light. Did you see a flash of light at the point if impact?

Actually, I remembered something that happened to me whilst I was observing Comet Garradd through binoculars on 2011 August 8. The following is taken directly from my log book.

"Just as I found the comet through the bins a meteor passed through the f.o.v. which was a stunning sight. It was hard to tell if it would have been visible with the naked eye. It was slow, white with a 3 degree path length and a slight sparkle as it ended! A real celestial firework!"

Maybe you saw something similar going in front of the moon.

Thanks for all the comments, as im pretty new to this. From what has been said I guess it might have been the plane . Looked like something struck the moon but as you say, possibly the trail from the plane could look like that. Assume from what you say that if it had to be such a big impact to see the dust cloud, someone else would have seen it or we would have heard about it.

Actually saw this twice last night and once again tonight and I've seen it before.

I see satellites etc. passing the moon many times, but occasionally coincides with a few seeing waves passing up (which could be any direction depending on setup) the terminator/limb edge.

Your brain simply makes the connection that something was moving plus disturbance = impact. Perfectly natural actually. :(

Cheers

Ian

Archived