Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Last night at Bignor

swamp thing

Hi All

Just thought I'd write a quick report of last nights session at Bignor. This is a dark sky site we use which is whithin a reasonable distance from Surrey. This will give you some idea of what can be observed from there.

We arrived and set up around 10ish Darren with his 120mm ED frac, and I had my 10" Dob with me.

Darren set about the usual tour of the planets and moon whilst I started with the usual suspects around Ursa Major. M81/82 M108/97 M109 and M101 over the border in Canes Venatici I took in NGC4485/4490 M106 and M51

M101 arms were seen easily enough but spiral structure couldn't be made out perhaps the moon in this area of sky didn't help as it was making it a bit milky. M51 did show some spiral structure but the 'bridge' to NGC5195 I couldn't make out.

Next we turned both scopes on the southern sky to take in the spectacular objects of the milky way.

My O-III filter was about to have the workout of its life as it was swapped between eyepieces and scopes for the next hour or so in search of the best views. We began our tour with the lagoon M8 and triffid M20 nebulae. The lagoon showed its characteristic dark lane in both scopes but only the 10" could show one of the dust lanes in the triffid. I personally think this is down to this area of sky displaying a little LP.

We moved both scopes upwards to the Omega M17 and Eagle M16 nebulae next. The Omega was simple through both scopes but the Eagle needed the O-III to be seen well through either scope. Although that said it could just be made out without through the Dob.

Next up the Globulars of Ophiuchus, M10, M12, M14 and Darren took in M107 too, he then did both of the Hercules cluster M13 & M92 whilst I observed the wild duck M11 & M26 in Scutum.

By now Cygnus was getting pretty close to overhead so after both checking out M56 in Lyra we headed off to the Veil nebula I could just make out both NGC6960 & NGC6995 through the 10" unfiltered but the filtered view was far far better.

Pickerings triangle could also be seen through the 120mm frac and the view with my O-III filter on 31mm Nagler was nothing short of stunning through the big frac.

Whilst in Cygnus we thought we'd have a bash at NGC7000 the North American neb. This again could be seen through both scopes with the O-III filter and just about without through the 10" Dob. We both tried and succeeded in also seeing it with the filter alone simply held in front of your unaided eye. We Could also bosawyer M13 with the naked eye.

This should hopefully give you all some idea of what can be seen through the eyepiece at a reasonably dark site.

All in all a pretty good night. Hopefully see some more of you peeps down there at some point.:(

If I've left any objects out Darren I apologise. We did get through a few.:)

How was the seeing Steve?

I`ve been working away so need to spend time with the family when I get back on a Friday, hopefully it isnt forever :(

However staying in Oxfordshire it is fantastically dark, got to take the scope one week.

Spent an hour in the garden lat night and found it a bit hit and miss, Saturn was crispy clean for a few seconds then blurry, I guesed it was because of the atmosphere and the effect of a nice hot sunny day.

Sounds like you worked your way through a few objects last night. :)

The seeing wasn't great Tony as far as I saw, Darren had Saturn in his frac and said it was in and out all the time.

When we were there in the week the seeing was very good indeed and we got some very steady planetary views. Far steadier than RC ever is to the east.:(

The transparency was excellent.

I can't remember any other objects Steve, we certainly got through loads before it started getting light again in the east:D

I do remember swearing involuntarily upon seeing the Veil through the Nagler and Oiii, it really was a shockingly spectacular view and summed up the dark sky site perfectly.

We were seeing M13 with it's apparent magnitude of 5.8 with the naked eye, which is more than you can ask for an hour's drive from the M25.

Saturn was in and out compared to the Tuesday night, occassional glimpses of the cassini division but the cloud banding was there. There were a few planes traversing that part of the sky so I'm blaming thair vapour trails;)

Easily the best night's observing since getting a scope, thoroughly enjoyed it.

sounds like you had a great night- great write ups! shame couldnt make it , wanted to see lagoon / triffid in 10" (seen through 120ed in cornwall was great view event at small apeture). hope can make it next time & convenient. what time did you get back home?

the joys of little one prevented an outing unfortunately......got some time in back garden instead with baby monitor outside :> best could do

saw some of the Messier objects in Ophiuchus - not been around that region much - lots of things to see but garden not well placed for viewing lower objects -seeing was really bad towards horizon more like multicoloured disco balls!

Hee Hee! Know what you mean low horizon is tough from all but the very best sites.

Bignor allows some pretty good views though about as good as your gonna get reasonably locally.

Surprised to see the NA neb with just the O-III Filter held in front of your eye though. Looked pretty good through both scopes.:(

still itching to see that (this year hopefully!!) few other things want to see in 10" also, hoping will get some decent nights ahead when moon not in way and not busy with work/little one - factored with cloud too many variables!

ps did hunt for it from garden - tbh no way will see it from here i think

Archived