Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42 - reprocessed

Gina

Here is a reprocessed image from my M42 data captured on 27 March. 149 lights, no darks, no flats, no bias. Stacked in DSS (110 lights stacked), post processed in PS. Red blocking filter removed from 1100D but not cooled at that stage. ED80 without FR/FF.

post-25795-133877779107_thumb.jpg

Nice detail there and you didn't blow the core which I always seem to do.

As a small suggestion you can stretch it a bit more to make the black blacker, which would improve the apparent contrast and make it pop a bit more. But always a trade off trying to keep the fainter stuff visible too...

GlassWalker has a good suggestion there I think.

It's personal preference how an edit is presented, but have a look at the black point on this M42 and give it a nudge to see what you think?

post-28991-133877779133_thumb.jpg

Nice detail there and you didn't blow the core which I always seem to do.

As a small suggestion you can stretch it a bit more to make the black blacker, which would improve the apparent contrast and make it pop a bit more. But always a trade off trying to keep the fainter stuff visible too...

Thank you :( I've now gone back into PS and done as you suggested :)

GlassWalker has a good suggestion there I think.

It's personal preference how an edit is presented, but have a look at the black point on this M42 and give it a nudge to see what you think?

Yes, it was a good suggestion - it did need a nudge plus careful curve management to keep the core :(

Saturation increased slightly - I think that's about as far as I can go until I study PS a bit more. This is already bringing out the noise a bit. But considering there's no darks or flats, I don't think it's too bad. Must say, 16 bit image processing sure makes a big difference - this wasn't possible in 8 bit GIMP.

M42_2012-03-27_adj_3.jpg

This is such a hard target and now you are really getting there Gina.

A good free plug in is from Rogelio Bernal Andreo (Google Deep Sky Colors with the US spelling.) It's called Hasta La Vista Green and imitates Pixinsight's SCNR green. You have some green noise in this which I think it would remove.

Green is often a steaming nuisance so I use SCNR green on every image.

Olly

This is such a hard target and now you are really getting there Gina.
Thank you Olly :(
A good free plug in is from Rogelio Bernal Andreo (Google Deep Sky Colors with the US spelling.) It's called Hasta La Vista Green and imitates Pixinsight's SCNR green. You have some green noise in this which I think it would remove.
Thanks for the link - looks useful :)
Green is often a steaming nuisance so I use SCNR green on every image.

Olly

Interesting :)

That's a great attempt and well done for not blowing out the core. How come no darks or flats?
Thank you :( I don't think I did any darks at the time but I have a fair collection now at various ISOs, exposures and temperatures so may have some to match. ATM I'm still going through all my files, collecting them into appropriate groups.

excellent image

halo around stars? hmm You must be using 2 or 3 different exposures in creating the image

I'll check that - thank you :(

Archived