Explorer 200P and Nikon Cameras

With the moon visible for the first time in what seems like ages last night I setup by Skywatcher Explorer 200P and EQ5 to attempt a few moon shots. The 200P has a direct DSLR connection but for the life of me I can't figure it out? I presume if you unscrew the 1.25" focus tube there's a thread on the bottom that looks as it will will fit a T-adapter but it's to shallow to screw into the threads on my Nikon T-adapter which are slight set back which means to get any sort of focus I have to use the 2x barlow which isn't ideal if you want to get the whole moon in a single shot. Any ideas if I'm missing anything?

With the barlow in place I just got the thin crescent moon in the frame and this is what I got with a Nikon D90 at prime focus with the 2x barlow.

PrimeFexample.jpg

To say I'm disappointed with the lack of clarity is an understatement, it looked so clear in the 25mm standard Skywatcher eyepiece but this is nothing like I was seeing. There's also a light region in the sky to the left that I could not get rid of either.

I tried the 25mm eyepiece for EP instead, I could get focus without the barlow but this was the result, again, not at all sharp and overall really disappointing.

EPExample.jpg

As it stands I'm getting way better from my standard photographic gear than this and it's pretty soul destroying when I see some of the shots possible with similar kit.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try the barlow and T peice, take a shot of the top and bottom and stitch them in photoshop !

you'll get better resolution.

When i tried the moon shots I used mirror lock up and as high a shutter speed as possible, remember, its still a camera but with a huge telephoto lens on it.

Photog basics imply at least 1.5 x focal length as your shutter speed.

Also, try focus bracketing ... ie: take a pic, tweak the focus slightly, take another pic, tweak again ... one of them will be right:)

Keep plugging away, you'll get there !

Pic attached is 3 shots stitched (I think)

1/320 second at ISO 800

Nikon D300, Skywatcher 2 x Barlow and Skyliner 150 Dob

post-34009-133877778973_thumb.jpg

With the moon visible for the first time in what seems like ages last night I setup by Skywatcher Explorer 200P and EQ5 to attempt a few moon shots. The 200P has a direct DSLR connection but for the life of me I can't figure it out? I presume if you unscrew the 1.25" focus tube there's a thread on the bottom that looks as it will will fit a T-adapter but it's to shallow to screw into the threads on my Nikon T-adapter which are slight set back which means to get any sort of focus I have to use the 2x barlow which isn't ideal if you want to get the whole moon in a single shot. Any ideas if I'm missing anything?

With the barlow in place I just got the thin crescent moon in the frame and this is what I got with a Nikon D90 at prime focus with the 2x barlow.

PrimeFexample.jpg

To say I'm disappointed with the lack of clarity is an understatement, it looked so clear in the 25mm standard Skywatcher eyepiece but this is nothing like I was seeing. There's also a light region in the sky to the left that I could not get rid of either.

I tried the 25mm eyepiece for EP instead, I could get focus without the barlow but this was the result, again, not at all sharp and overall really disappointing.

EPExample.jpg

As it stands I'm getting way better from my standard photographic gear than this and it's pretty soul destroying when I see some of the shots possible with similar kit.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Just looked at your EXIF data, looks like you had a shutter speed of 1/5 sec at ISO 500 ?

did you have the OTA masked down, you should get a far higher speed than that ?

Try manual exposure

I would suggest you try to stop the light entering the tube down, as it stands its wide open as you have no control over the aperture. So either try it with the end cap on with one or two of the smaller holes open and see how this looks. Too much light = soft focus. Either that or try a polarising or moon ND filter in the eye piece. Its all about available light... too much available light will give you low contrast and hardly any definition.

Not that Ive ever done anything other than take astro shots with just my togging gear but it should still apply to a scope via a T ring.

Give it a go, nowt to lose eh :(

Be careful you didn't unscrew the EP holder AND the t-ring adapter from your scope. I managed to do that earlier when I was doing a bit of solar photography with my 150PL. You should have a black thread to attach the t-ring to rather than a shiny silver thread.

I think the issue is the t-adapter I've got. It's got 2 sets of threads, one slightly larger than the other and the set I need is recessed back for some reason. I've no idea what the slightly larger set are for as they dont seem to fit anything. I'll try and get hold of another one and see where I go from there.

The idea of too much light might be right too, it was still a very twilight sky when I took those. I'll give it another go tonight and see what happens!

I think the issue is the t-adapter I've got. It's got 2 sets of threads, one slightly larger than the other and the set I need is recessed back for some reason. I've no idea what the slightly larger set are for as they dont seem to fit anything. I'll try and get hold of another one and see where I go from there.

The idea of too much light might be right too, it was still a very twilight sky when I took those. I'll give it another go tonight and see what happens!

If its too much light ... where did the 1/5th second shutter speed come from?

Sent from my HD2Droid

Still waiting for the Moon to be in the sky at a reasonable darkness level (and be clear of the houses to the west). Should be sometime around next Thursday or Friday so I can start getting some shots of the moon from my Nikon D80 :(

You need a Adapter to screw into the Nikon T-Ring, this has a flange that goes into the Focus tube, this method is called Prime focus....

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/flo-2-inch-t-mount-camera-adapter.html

I've got a 1.25" version of one of those, if I use it though the sensor is pushed too far back from the point of focus and I'm always just out of focus.

You need a Adapter to screw into the Nikon T-Ring, this has a flange that goes into the Focus tube, this method is called Prime focus....

Hasn't the 200P already got that? My 150PL has and all I needed was a T-ring. Here -

post-35401-13387777909_thumb.jpg

It's the t-ring I've got that the issue, after a bit of looking about I dont think it's an actual t-ring but a m42-57 adapter I was sold as a t-ring. I've got a seperate M42 adapter so I'll try that out and see what happens. This is definitely the camera connection problem, its just the **** images I need to sort out now!

1/5th of a second is the reason its washed out, and probably because you dont have your metering set to spot or centre. Its taking the light input as a whole and NOT from the Moon itself hence the ISO 500 and 1/5th shutter speed (cameras do tend to set ridiculous auto settings!). Set your dial to M, set your metering to spot or centre and you ISO to the lowest available it seems like you have it set on auto ISO or are using a semi automatic setting, try to get a reading from a mid tone on the moon and if your exposure meter works alter your shutter speed to suit but not above centre. Shutter speed should be a lot higher than that really, or you'll get movement smear from the moon shifting across the frame.

Anyway, give those settings a go and see how things turn out.

You can unscrew the lens part of the barlow and then just use it as an extension tube. Ive got the correct t-ring and adapters and filters and what not if you want to try them. Just gives a shout dude.

1/5th of a second is the reason its washed out, and probably because you dont have your metering set to spot or centre. Its taking the light input as a whole and NOT from the Moon itself hence the ISO 500 and 1/5th shutter speed (cameras do tend to set ridiculous auto settings!). Set your dial to M, set your metering to spot or centre and you ISO to the lowest available it seems like you have it set on auto ISO or are using a semi automatic setting, try to get a reading from a mid tone on the moon and if your exposure meter works alter your shutter speed to suit but not above centre. Shutter speed should be a lot higher than that really, or you'll get movement smear from the moon shifting across the frame.

Anyway, give those settings a go and see how things turn out.

I was on full manual mode, but your right the metering wasn't set to spot. It's not a massive deal using a 400mm lens but obviously is with the scope. I've just been out with the photo gear and 400mm lens and got some shots of the moon in a bright sky, will get the scope out in half and hour and see what happens! Cheers for the pointers.

You can unscrew the lens part of the barlow and then just use it as an extension tube. Ive got the correct t-ring and adapters and filters and what not if you want to try them. Just gives a shout dude.

Might be a good shout Rab. Will only be out for an hour or so tonight but planning to sit out longer tomorrow night as long as that sea haar stays away.

I was on full manual mode, but your right the metering wasn't set to spot. It's not a massive deal using a 400mm lens but obviously is with the scope. I've just been out with the photo gear and 400mm lens and got some shots of the moon in a bright sky, will get the scope out in half and hour and see what happens! Cheers for the pointers.

Hiya, it may make no difference whatsoever in a scope but its worth a try, I know it makes a huge difference with my DSLR and 300mm lens, if its on anything other than centre or spot I just get a washed out moon. Nowt to lose by trying it though eh :-)

Might be a good shout Rab. Will only be out for an hour or so tonight but planning to sit out longer tomorrow night as long as that sea haar stays away.

Well if you can make it to the rigg the morra I think its going to be a busy one. Can give you lift if you like. That is of course is if your legs up to it.

Well if you can make it to the rigg the morra I think its going to be a busy one. Can give you lift if you like. That is of course is if your legs up to it.

Doubt it mate, fine plodding about round the back but don't fancy a late night out on it! I'll leave outings to Harperrig until the hours are more sociable and I've got a better idea of what I'm doing!

Doubt it mate, fine plodding about round the back but don't fancy a late night out on it! I'll leave outings to Harperrig until the hours are more sociable and I've got a better idea of what I'm doing!

Aye I dont blame you. What time you out tonight? might pop down for wee half hour.

Archived