Seeing the transit

I would love to be able to see the transit of the sun next month but can not afford the right materials to make a safe filter is there any way of making one with bits that are around the house Ie free.

Any help please Geoff

If you have a pair of welding goggles hanging around (like we all do LOL) you could use those BUT they have to be a specific rating to be safe! The Astronomy Now YouTube vids will give you more details, I think in the latest one.

or put a post on forum asking if anyone is going out to see the transit near you ,you could maybe meet up and get a use of their scope [seem's most of us don't mind people sharing our hobby ,who would have thought lol]

Thanks for all your help. and no welding goggles is somthing I have not got don't no y I'm sure it is a normal house hold item :)

Is there anyone in Rhyl going to be watching ?

Geoff

Thanks for your help I am going to the astro show 2moz at cambrian in colwyn bay there will be reps there from the sellers of scopes I am hoping there will be some free b's

Geoff

What are you trying to make the filter to go on?

I'm sure somebody on here might have an offcut of baader film they might be able to send you.

I made my filter to cover the smaller hole in my OTA end cap and that works ok. Still need to and want to make a full aperture one, but covering the end cap hole only needed about 10cm square.

Archived