Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Set-up time for Celestron C9.25-SGT XLT GOTO?????

Well aperture fever looks like it going to come knocking on my door at some point very soon and I was looking at the above scope to hopefully quench my thirst for better views. However, does anyone have a rough estimate as to the average set-up time for it? .

The longest part will be the cool down time - could be 30-90 minutes, depending on the temp difference between where the scope is stored and outside.

Setting the mount up and alignment would probably take 10-15 minutes.

Really depends on how well you get along with doing the sequence and how much "sense" it makes to you.

I find the Meade alignment makes sense to me and the Celestron method doesn't match my way of thinking.

Practise also makes a fair bit of difference, as does being reasonably organised.

For the Meades I have I tend to put them out, level them, aim it North then power down and go in to eat and wait for the dark. When I go back out all I do is power up, answer the questions and say align.

No trying to do things in the dark makes it a lot easier and simpler.

Thanks for all your advice chaps. Much appreciated. I know that I am going to get a big beast and I have seen what can be achieved with a 9.25 so I think that is going to be the one.

Capricorn. Cheers.

I am usually pretty adept at learning new things, but for whatever reason it has taken me ages to fully understand my 127 SLT, but now I think that getting a new scope with fundamentally the same method of operation I should find it easier. Certainly to a lay person like me at the beginning the Celestron was difficult and I don't think it is very user friendly for anyone starting out. I have posted loads of questions about things that I didn't understand. Luckily the good folks on SGL put me right.

Archived