Should I Change To A Goto Scope?

Hi All,

I have a SkyWatcher 130M Reflector, and haven't really had much time to use it recently. Part of this is due to the setup and my lack of knowledge/practice of the night sky.

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to add a Goto system to the telescope without having to change the mount that comes with it which I believe is lowly EQ2 mount.

Would it be worth changing the mount for a GoTo one, or more cost effective to change the telescope altogether and sell the current one ?

EVentually I would like to be able to connect my laptop and astronomical webcam so I can control the scope and take a few images.

I would be grateful for any suggestions that could point me in the right direction ...

Many thanks

Kind Regards

:)

I recently sold my 130eq for a celestron 127slt and it was the best thing I could of done. I only get a few hours a week so setup time is limited and these literally take 3 minutes to set up. I also want to eventually control the scope through the laptop which you can do with the correct cable. I posted a pic today of a quick image taken last night of saturn using an xbox webcam, from getting the telescope into the garden you can be imaging within minutes so a quick half an hour of observing can show you a lot!

It's only my opinion but if you haven't had time to get out there with the 130M then the same will probably apply with a goto scope. If you are having trouble setting up and aligning then you'll have the same problem with a goto scope as well.

I would suggest it may be a good idea to persist with the 130M for a while untill you are proficient with it. It's a smashing little starter scope that will give great views of the brighter objects. To learn more about the night sky - take Sky at Night magazine for a year and follow the viewing advice on the center pages. You'll soon have a good basic knowledge of the sky.

Try some group observing with a local astro soc or observing group. You'll be amazed at what you learn and how quickly. This will also give you opportunity to see different scopes and form a sound opinion of what you want to eventually upgrade to. Even with a computer and goto scope you will still need knowledge of the sky.

You'll also get chance to talk about the merits of different equipment with your observing buddies and refine your setup procedure. With your scope it is possible to start webcam imaging with solar system objects as you have a tracking motor. Great way to get going imho. Good luck :)

I recently sold my 130eq for a celestron 127slt and it was the best thing I could of done. I only get a few hours a week so setup time is limited and these literally take 3 minutes to set up. I also want to eventually control the scope through the laptop which you can do with the correct cable. I posted a pic today of a quick image taken last night of saturn using an xbox webcam, from getting the telescope into the garden you can be imaging within minutes so a quick half an hour of observing can show you a lot!

Many thanks - sounds exactly like the kind of thing I want to do.!

It's only my opinion but if you haven't had time to get out there with the 130M then the same will probably apply with a goto scope. If you are having trouble setting up and aligning then you'll have the same problem with a goto scope as well.

I would suggest it may be a good idea to persist with the 130M for a while untill you are proficient with it. It's a smashing little starter scope that will give great views of the brighter objects. To learn more about the night sky - take Sky at Night magazine for a year and follow the viewing advice on the center pages. You'll soon have a good basic knowledge of the sky.

Try some group observing with a local astro soc or observing group. You'll be amazed at what you learn and how quickly. This will also give you opportunity to see different scopes and form a sound opinion of what you want to eventually upgrade to. Even with a computer and goto scope you will still need knowledge of the sky.

You'll also get chance to talk about the merits of different equipment with your observing buddies and refine your setup procedure. With your scope it is possible to start webcam imaging with solar system objects as you have a tracking motor. Great way to get going imho. Good luck :)

Many thanks for the sound advice! ;)

Hi, they only do the goto upgrade for the eq3 upward I'm afraid. You could try downloading Stellarium for free its great for helping you to find objects by star hopping:)

Many thanks - I'll take a look. Whilst I am quite well versed in cosmology and the physics of the universe and how everything works, I just haven;t spent enough time learning the sky. I can find the major things but I need to get out there and do some serious star hopping and learning! :)

Many thanks - I'll take a look. Whilst I am quite well versed in cosmology and the physics of the universe and how everything works, I just haven;t spent enough time learning the sky. I can find the major things but I need to get out there and do some serious star hopping and learning! ;)

:) This all sounds very familier, I did an Astronomy degree a while ago now and whilst I learnt lots of physics, I ironically forgot how to find most things in the sky:D I'm sure if you give it a go you'll enjoy star hopping to find objects, its all good fun:)

Archived