Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help Please with Watec

Stevie816

Hi Everyone,

I.m using a Watec 120n with a focal reducer on my 10" Meade.

It all works fine but I'm dissapointed with the quality of the images I get. At present i'm stacking about 500 images in registax.

Can I have some guidelines where to start, For example If you wanted to photo M13 or 82

What settings would you use ?

How would you process the image?

I don't want to rival Damien Peach but it would be great to recognise what's on the screen !

Please help

Steve

I'm surprised that you have not obtained satisfactory images with your set up yet. I used to use a 120n on a 12" SCT with .33 reducer and managed unprocessed images far superior than those seen through the scope visually. The images were displayed on a decent TV monitor, I have to say I've yet to be impressed with the same set up but shown on a laptop screen.

Yes, give us a look. <G> Personally, with an 8" / F4, for "galaxies", (from memory) I use e.g. an integrating Watec setting corresponding to 128 x 1/50sec. The screen updates every 5sec or so! Gain about 75%, Gamma set to "Lo". In real time, I can just about see the thermal noise. I synchronise the software sampling rate to the data rate (important!) and then record an AVI of 250 unique frames - That gives an actual "exposure" duration time of about 20min. But that more the limit of my patience for standing around - Or allowing a quick tea break indoors. :headbang:

If you can "see it" (in real time) you should be able to image it? But a lot of things influence this. Ten inch Meade what? (SCT? Dob?). Type of mount (Static, Alt-Azimuth, Equatorial? Tip: In Registax (stacking), I try to "synch" on a bright star close to the DSO, if it is diffuse... like a Nebula or Galaxy. Some images turn out better than others! <shrug> Open clusters (M36, M37, M38 in Auriga) are a good targets to "learn" on. Globular clusters too, but their "cores" can get "artifact-prone" in the (internal, external) stacking? Galaxies with surface brightness > +12 work reasonably for me... +13, +14 are trickier, with my 8"/F4! But plenty of room for experiment? Don't despair yet... :)

Was you using the focal reducer for the Saturn pictures? Normally I would be using a barlow to increase the image size on a planet.

Generally in my exerience, I was getting better results with a web cam than with the Watec with planets. The Watec really comes into it`s own when it is used on the low light level DSO`s.

Hi Phil

yes i'm using a focal reducer 3.3, and a 2x Barlow

I thought it would be easier to learn on Planets and then move on to DSO's. Am i wrong ?

Steve

I have attached tonights effort

1000 frames stacked in registax

Hi Steve,

You don't need a focal reducer for planets. Try without it and if the seeing agrees use the 2X.

Anyway, your latest effort looks good to me too!

Clear skies,

Ant

Yep, precisely so: Omit the reducer and add a 2x... (3x even) Barlow. As others have said, not a bad image for the Watec, under the circumstances. :headbang:

As a bit of fun, without the barlow, you could try whacking the gain right up (Saturn will be overexposed!) and see which fainter satellites you can see... :)

Thanks again guys

I will be out on the next clear night to try your suggestions.

Also I will have a go at M13. Do you have any suggestions what settings I should start with. There are so many possibilities with all the kit.

And thanks for your encouragement and ideas everyone.

Keep watching this space

Steve

Steve. For M13 use the F3.3 reducer set at its correct spacing, set the lo-med-hi setting to med, gain dial to halfway, integration to maximum and then wait for 10 seconds. Make sure you're sitting down before the image pops up! :)

Archived