Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Deciding where to put my money

Hello.

I am going to upgrade my AP-setup abit.

Currently I have a nexstar 102 refractor and a QHY5.

I do some planetary imaging but will focus on brighter DSOs.

(M31, M42, M57, M51 etc etc)

My problem is that I don't know where my money at the moment will be best of use. New scope or camera.

My choices are:

A CCD camera (Thinking of either Meade DSI 3 mono or ATIK 314E/ATIK 314EC)

or a new scope. TS Optics 80 Triplet FPL53 probably.

Been thinking of this scope since I need a lightweight one.

(Since I dont have a car I need to carry it, even on busses/trains).

My big problem here is that I do not know what kind of images these produce. What I read is "Widefield". But if that means images where M31 fits, or M31 is "smallish", I do not know.

I also need some kind of lightweight mount then.

Thinking of NEQ3 (perhaps NEQ5).

I suppose you need GoTo for guidescopes?

Or can you use a guidescope with Dual-Axis motors?

Something like: http://www.astroshop.eu/drive-motors-without-goto/skywatcher-r-a--driving-motor-for-eq-3-mounts/p,1499

I don't have that much to spend on this, so I am taking babysteps to a OK-preforming setup, but also want to put my money where it counts.

Is there anyone who can give me some advice. Would really appriciate that. :)

CHeers all!

Have a look here - http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm in order to give you an idea of field of view. You can put in cameras and scopes to get a real feel for how wide is wide.

Regarding where to put your money - The general feeling with AP is that the mount is the absolute most essential part to get right - With a poor mount, you'll get nowhere. The HEQ5 will usually get cited as the minimum required, although people have done AP with less. I am all for making it as easy as possible from the start, so an HEQ5 it was for me. AP is hard enough as it is, without battling against the equipment.

Been thinking of this scope since I need a lightweight one.

(Since I dont have a car I need to carry it, even on busses/trains).

Have you considered an Astrotrac - most serious mounts are heavy. An iOptron may be doable.

astro-photography, guiding, cheap and portable don't tend to mix, but if your after a cheap, portable wide-field setup, howabout a DSLR, lens and SLT mount.

Anything else won't be portable on a bus and a CCD camera will need a laptop. If you don't need portable, then something else like a proper EQ mount (HEQ5), CCD and scope will be better.

Archived