Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clear Skies in SW Fri/Sat

The Beast

Forecast looking good for Friday night and Saturday night (11/12 May) in the South West. Might be a good time to catch some galaxies. Won't be dark until very late of course. Friday night looking better than Saturday. Cloud will be approaching from the NW on Saturday. Good observing at the NLO on Friday I expect.

I'm thinking of heading up to Hartland for some 6.7 mag skies, its a long drive and risky if there is a chance of mist. Think its going to have to be a last minute check of the forecasts and make my mind up last thing.

So yep fingers crossed! :clouds2:

Well I've just made my first observation of the day - the Sun using my binocs and recently completed solar filter. Very large sunspot almost dead centre, with a trail of smaller spots off to left. It's a start!

Yes i will be doing my first night out with another forum member tonight and can't wait now.Just seen the forecast and it's still looking good for the central area:)

I just hope i can stay awake:bino2:

Observing at the NLO may be a bit moist, yesterday afternoon there were lakes all over the grounds, it absolutely chucked it down, I hope its drained off enough for this evening.

Dave

Forecast looking good for Friday night and Saturday night (11/12 May) in the South West. Might be a good time to catch some galaxies. Won't be dark until very late of course. Friday night looking better than Saturday. Cloud will be approaching from the NW on Saturday. Good observing at the NLO on Friday I expect.

Judging from where you are situated, I would guess the skies will be particularly good. Which moor are you on/near?

Some of us are attempting to get a SW group up and running on SGL when the new software is up and running; PM me if you would be an interested party please. :clouds2:

Hmmm. Just looking at the satellite images. I hope that high cloud pushes off South later. That high cloud is the main risk in the SW for Friday. Wales will be fine. Saturday looking better now, all depends how quickly (or slowly) the cloud from the NW appears on the scene. I'm hopeful for Saturday now.

Hmmm. Just looking at the satellite images. I hope that high cloud pushes off South later. That high cloud is the main risk in the SW for Friday. Wales will be fine. Saturday looking better now, all depends how quickly (or slowly) the cloud from the NW appears on the scene. I'm hopeful for Saturday now.

Yep seems like that band of cloud in Biscay is the main risk, fresh winds through out the day easing off in the evening so hopefully will blow through.

Saturday looking like it will be good for the whole of England. There will be some convective cloud brewing up during the day which might linger a bit, but by late on I would think it would dissipate or blow through. Visibility is very good right now and I don't expect humidity will be a problem.

Archived