I've never found the applications that do this very good, because there's always still too much illumination from the backlight. A red cover for the screen works better, I find. Give it a whirl though and see how you get on.

James

I think the 2nd link there is the software i was talking about.

I think it all depends on what you want it for. Dimming the screen and turning it red will be fine if you are doing AP, planetary observing, double star observing, or if you're observing from somewhere with direct light pollution and not using LPR filters. However, it won't be fine if you're at a dark site and doing DSO observing. There's no way the laptop screen can be made dim enough without a filter. Dim is important: red on its own doesn't cut it. The same goes for torches.

The stuff you want is called Rubylith (http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_redm1.htm). You will likely need more than one layer of it. You will also want to cover any indicator LEDs, such as power and HDD activity lights. When you're really dark adapted at a dark site then even looking up at the sky will alter your adaptation. Doing all this is especially important if you're observing with others.

Archived