Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

my fisrt pics of m42

Good job there Mark :clouds2: M81 is certainly showing nicely, some nice colours in there :icon_scratch: M82 is certainly better but needs more data I agree.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for having a go at pic.don't forget cam had no mod most pics are 30 sec long so it's done well. as well as only jpegs no darks etc just pics.m81 I think only 10 / 12 pics may be.gf3 is good cam for day use lets see what I come up with now I've got moded 450d could be a few tiffs in my drop box lol.looking at my pic on my laptop of 42 it loads better than one on post ?

Your welcome it was fun having a go the canon will produce really good results for you. When I imaged m81 and m82 I took about 80 shots at and ISO of 1600 and each shot was one minute and 25 seconds long. This was with un umodded canon 350d. I then took 40 darks flats and bias offset shots and stacked that lot in deep sky stacker.

This was the result so you should get some really nice shots with your cannon. I am going to go back to this one again soon. I now use a laptop with Backyard eos to focus and frame my targets with and when I took this shot of M81 and m82 the focus was slightly out as I was using the small screen on my camera to focus with rather then doing it with Backyard eos.

M81%2520and%2520M82.JPG

My dark flats am I right that they should be say as main pic time and iso.iwas going to look into on laptop veiw I need to get longer cables so have to use screen on cam its 3" so it will do for the mo.clamp has gone on my spending not allowed for at least a month says the wife.il have to hide 120 ed when I buy it lol

I normally take my darks after I take my main shots. To do this I keep the camera on the telescope and just transport the whole thing back to my garden shed. Using my remote timer control I set it to take 60 darks at the same settings and with the cap on the telescope end. In the morning I then stretch a clean white t shirt over the end of my telescope and point it out the door. Set the camera to AV and take my flats then my bias shots are taken by simply selecting the fastest shutter speed. There is a very good article on how to take dark's and flats in the deep sky stacker help section which will explain it all much better for you. If you have a remote timer for you camera you can still use backyard eos or astrophotography tool with just your cable that came with your camera but it does mean sitting close to your telescope outside with your laptop on a table.

Archived