Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can a powermate collimate with a barlow?

Hey all,

Can you use a powermate with a laser to collimate the primary mirror just like a normal barlow?

Am I also right in thinking that the laser doesn't have to be collimated when using this method?

Thanks,

I am pretty sure it does not work with a PM. the reason is they work differently to barlows and don't spread the laser beam which is what helps the collimation. the rest of your statement is correct (you only collimate the primary with the barlow though as you say).

I'm sure Shane is right about the Powermate.

The barlow method of collimating the primary is tolerant of some misalignment of the laser beam either through mis-collimation of the collimator itself or through slop in the draw tube holding it, however, you still need an accurate laser if you want to use it for secondary tilt adjustment. For the barlowed laser method on the primary, the laser beam is diffused into a wider patch of light which needs to fall onto and to cover, the central alignment ring on the primary.

Thanks for the clarification guys. Shame that you reckon the PM wont work. I find the cheshire is best for getting the secondary right and a barlowed laser is good for the primary (doing it solo anyways)

I haven't had much time for the forum atm sorry ;) Have recommended a few friends to join up though so cant be all bad!

In my experience barlowed laser Coll works with the 2.5 1 1/4" powermate but for some reason it don't work with the 2" 2x powermate

Sent from my AWSOME iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived