Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Carrying a 200p Dob

Hi my Skyliner 200p Dob is built up awaiting clear skies, quite a awkward size to move a round, got me wondering what is the safest way to move it from place to place, assembled OTA vertical, are the tension handles just tension handles or doubling up as lifting handles, are they up to taking the weight in a straight up lift solo or with help, will I be left holding a broken off handles as the bolt head is moulded in the handle only a very short distance. Or is it better to move disassembled, I assume the large handle on the front of the base is for carry the base only when the OTA is removed.

Thanks

Yes, the large handle is for carrying the base only, and please don't forget to remove any eyepieces from the rack first......

I had a 200p Dob, and often used the tension handles to carry the scope as a single unit, but it was awkward to do that through doorways etc, so then I separated the tube from the mount to shift it, easier on your back as well.

Had no issues with the strength of those handles. Of course, if you are using the scope with someone else, then you can grab a handle each to move it.

Hope the skies clear for you soon, you will love your 200p, great scope.

Regards, Ed.

I don't own a 200p (I do have an Orion SkyQuest 8" classic) but I note that the SkyWatcher handles are described as being designed for carrying the scope, so they're obviously strong enough, but apparently awkward.

For comparison, the Orion has the base handle rather higher (I think), and the scope is held to the base by strong tension springs (so there's nothing sticking out the sides that catches on doorways etc). I've always found it easy to carry in one piece, either upright in both arms (vertical), or with one arm, the whole assembly hanging from the handle (horizontal).

Sounds to me like SkyWatcher maybe put the base handle too low and made the carrying handles too long. Both of those are things that could potentially be fixed, making it easier to carry the scope as a single unit.

I have only ever shifted mine round the garden but I pick it up all in one with the two handles with the finderscope away from my chin , I have to carry it up a few garden steps and it's not a problem. I have kept the box for when I go to a dark site though

I've always favored a 'safe - not sorry' policy when moving optical equipment and taken the base and tube out separately into the garden.

I figured the extra few minutes wouldn't bother me much, but dropping or damaging something expensive would. :hello2:

Dan

Archived