Your favorite book on constellations?

Hi folks, I'm looking for something to help me learn and recognize the constellations. I'm aware I can look this up all online, but I want to have a book for some reason. Can you recommend one to me?

I'd want some history on the constellations, too. Perhaps the story behind the figure, how the stars in the constellation came to be associated with that figure, who what when where why, all the goods :(

I feel like the general opinion of the constellations, including mine before I got into stargazing, is that the people who came up with them were REALLY creative or under some heavy influence of something :D but I can really appreciate them now. They're really useful in navigating the stars.

Thanks!

Yep, I saw it. Thanks :( I'll wait for your suggestions

I'm sure the rest of us would be interested too :D

My favorite is "Observing the Constellations" by John Sanford - it does not major much on the myth side though.

As a quick study when out in the field a good planisphere is useful. As for the myths I couldn't say, it's so long since I read them. Must admit it is great on outreach to have a few up the sleeve as young children love stories of magic and heroism.

Hi Gary

"The Constellations"

An enthusiasts guide to the night sky.

Gives tales from history about the constellations , the principle stars and items of interest etc.

It is by Lloyd Motz & Carol Nathanson

HTH

Graham

"Collins Gem Stars". Tiny book, fits in your pocket so you can take it everywhere. Lots of information and suggestions for things to look at. Only £3.50 from Amazon. Maps are good too, they are readable under a red light despite having a blue background.

"Collins Gem Stars". Tiny book, fits in your pocket so you can take it everywhere. Lots of information and suggestions for things to look at. Only £3.50 from Amazon. Maps are good too, they are readable under a red light despite having a blue background.

I agree. Its a great book to have outside with you as it fits in your pocket. Another one is Collins wild guide: Night Sky. It has lots of info on all the constellations alongside the maps of each.

Archived