Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 102SLT

Hi,

New to the Forum. Looking to purchase a first telescope for my 13 year old son who has has developed an interest in the night sky. We have been recommended the above make & model as a good beginner's telescope - something powerful enough to look at the moon, planets and sky generally that will stimulate his interest rather than disappoint. You know what teenager's are like these days - they expect the 'wow' factor from everything they do!

Looking for any feedback or support of this model or any similar alternatives. Budget is £300 - £500, I believe this one's about £330.

Thanks

philwizzer

This one is a few pounds more it will see further because of the larger apparture and will not display the false colour

First Light Optics - Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT

but if you want the best views no electronics but a much better scope this one is the best scope under £450 and best of all costs less than £300

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

Hi,

New to the Forum. Looking to purchase a first telescope for my 13 year old son who has has developed an interest in the night sky. We have been recommended the above make & model as a good beginner's telescope - something powerful enough to look at the moon, planets and sky generally that will stimulate his interest rather than disappoint. You know what teenager's are like these days - they expect the 'wow' factor from everything they do!

Looking for any feedback or support of this model or any similar alternatives. Budget is £300 - £500, I believe this one's about £330.

Thanks

philwizzer

wish you were my dad !

have a good read on here, suss out if he's going to get more satisfaction from finding objects himself or using a goto to do it auto for him.

With your budget theres a lot of good scopes... I personally went for big and manual as i thought ( maybe wrongly, just a newbie myself) I can get a big manual scope and when i find something it will look good. Or a smaller auto scope which would find stuff for me but maybe not look so clear.

Good luck with your choice

Agree with Rowan. With your budget I would move up to either a 127 Mak or an even larger apature dob. Depends on how mobile you might want to be with your kit and whether you think you'll want goto. Ultimately, a bigger apature will give better views, getting you closer to that 'wow factor'.

Hi Phil

First off. Welcome to the forum.

Now scopes:

Have you been along to your local societies open viewing nights with your son? If not this is a great idea as not only will you get the chance for your son to look through loads of different scopes, but you'll get the opportunity to see how big they are and how much they all cost.:(:D

Most amateurs are pretty friendly and will be more than happy to let someone have a nose through their scope.

HTH

Archived