Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Light pollution from new developmet

Meerkat

We've just had a new library built in Maidstone, and what type of lights have they used in the car park?

Those that project the light vertically to hit a downwards facing reflector, well not downwards so much as sideways.

Unbelievable.

Steve

These light fittings are real joke and should be outlawed.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the "Tips on addressing light pollution" thread has been closed, I've posted here.

I live in inner city Leeds, in a terraced house with no garden, opening directly onto the street. Some 12-18 months ago all the street lighting was replaced. The main road at the top of the street got pale orange lights that were a great improvement on what they replaced, with a much tighter light beam, and no "upspill". The one nearest me was in addition placed close to a nearby tree, which is currently embracing it and blotting its effect out. No complaints from me!

The pattern fitted in the side streets are a different kettle of fish. Four or five feet taller than their predecessors, they have a brilliant white beam and apparently no effective shielding. At night with heavy dark curtains the bedroom is so brightly lit that my missus has been having trouble sleeping, and I have had to resort to fitting double thickness black blinds to alleviate the problem.

Being a "nackler" from way back (an essential attribute in my past career) I address the problem for home 'scope use by using a currently unused EQ5 tripod and mount to hold a jury-rigged board, pole, and blackout curtain. Flaps a bit in the breeze, and I should imagine that a high wind would result in the country's first EQ5 bodied helicopter, but it is very effective in sorting out the worst effects of this street Pharos.

Today I thought I'd try an approach to the local lighting department. I composed a suitable message stressing the level of light in the bedroom, mentioning that as an amateur astronomer I have some little awareness of current attitudes to light pollution, but stressing that I deal with the problem for my observing, and that the "living" situation needed addressing.

My message was sent at 12.14. I received an immediate acknowledgement. At 12.29 a personal message came saying that my request for shielding of the light in question had been submitted for consideration. At 13.32 the phone rang and I was told that the request had been accepted and that the work would be carried out on or before June 15th.

I don't think my request could possibly have been more efficiently or satisfactorily dealt with. If you've got a problem, have a go!

These lights will not be adopted by KCC who have already said they would fit shields.

The problem I have is that they are owned by a housing association who are paying the original developer maintenance for the road and lights.

The lights outside the front of our home are KCC owned and they have already fitted a shield to the one outside us, as our neighbour complained about it after the filaments were changed to bright white ones instead of a muted orange.

It was sorted in three days.

It says something when a shield was fitted to this and it's 3 lux at road level compared to 28 lux at the back of us.

Steve

As the "Tips on addressing light pollution" thread has been closed, I've posted here.

I live in inner city Leeds, in a terraced house with no garden, opening directly onto the street. Some 12-18 months ago all the street lighting was replaced. The main road at the top of the street got pale orange lights that were a great improvement on what they replaced, with a much tighter light beam, and no "upspill". The one nearest me was in addition placed close to a nearby tree, which is currently embracing it and blotting its effect out. No complaints from me!

The pattern fitted in the side streets are a different kettle of fish. Four or five feet taller than their predecessors, they have a brilliant white beam and apparently no effective shielding. At night with heavy dark curtains the bedroom is so brightly lit that my missus has been having trouble sleeping, and I have had to resort to fitting double thickness black blinds to alleviate the problem.

Being a "nackler" from way back (an essential attribute in my past career) I address the problem for home 'scope use by using a currently unused EQ5 tripod and mount to hold a jury-rigged board, pole, and blackout curtain. Flaps a bit in the breeze, and I should imagine that a high wind would result in the country's first EQ5 bodied helicopter, but it is very effective in sorting out the worst effects of this street Pharos.

Today I thought I'd try an approach to the local lighting department. I composed a suitable message stressing the level of light in the bedroom, mentioning that as an amateur astronomer I have some little awareness of current attitudes to light pollution, but stressing that I deal with the problem for my observing, and that the "living" situation needed addressing.

My message was sent at 12.14. I received an immediate acknowledgement. At 12.29 a personal message came saying that my request for shielding of the light in question had been submitted for consideration. At 13.32 the phone rang and I was told that the request had been accepted and that the work would be carried out on or before June 15th.

I don't think my request could possibly have been more efficiently or satisfactorily dealt with. If you've got a problem, have a go!

Good result!

I've emailed my council 3 times now and still have not had a reply, other than 'I will pass this on to the relevant department'.

I'm now going to go for the 4th attempt, stating that I still haven't had a response to my last 3 emails :(

DEFRA guidance on artificial light pollution and insect nuisance

85 Local authorities have a duty to

take reasonable steps, where practicable,

to investigate any complaints of artificial

light nuisance; it is expected that the

following sources will generate most

complaints:

• Domestic security lights

• Commercial security lights

• Healthy living and sports facilities

(see below)

• Domestic decorative lighting

• Exterior lighting of buildings and

decorative lighting of landscapes

• Laser shows / sky beams / light art

More info here

http://www.northwarks.gov.uk/downloads/file/1918/nuisance_from_insects_and_light

Also from DEFRA

Statutory nuisance from artificial

light and light pollution

90 Artificial light nuisance may be,

but is not necessarily, the same as light

pollution. Artificial light nuisance is a

source of light that in the opinion of a

trained public health professional, who

makes an assessment on a case by case

basis, interferes with someone’s use of

their property, and / or is or might be

prejudicial to someone’s health. Light

pollution could be defined as any form

of artificial light which shines outside the

area it needs to illuminate, including light

that is directed above the horizontal into

the night sky creating sky glow (which

impedes our views of the stars), or which

creates a danger by glare. Although light

pollution might affect the aesthetic

beauty of the night sky and interfere with

astronomy, it is not necessarily also a

statutory nuisance. The statutory nuisance

regime is not an appropriate tool with

which to address light pollution per se.

So it does say "interferes with someone's use of their property"

Maybe I need to go back to EH yet again?

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update, just had an email from my councillor, the housing association are going to pay for the zero light pollution glazing, and the developer is going to supply the labour to fit them.

So a bit of a result really, hasn't been done yet but hopefully will by next winter......

Quite why it had to go this far is a mystery to me as the solution is really very easy and costs peanuts.

Steve

Quick update, just had an email from my councillor, the housing association are going to pay for the zero light pollution glazing, and the developer is going to supply the labour to fit them.

So a bit of a result really, hasn't been done yet but hopefully will by next winter......

Quite why it had to go this far is a mystery to me as the solution is really very easy and costs peanuts.

Steve

Sounds like a result- the main thing is it will force everybody involved to consider the type of lighting fitted with more care next time round.

• 3 months later...

Excellent news at last.

Went to go to bed last night, switched off the kithcen lights and immediately noticed a difference, no light shining in through the window.

Looked out, and lo and behold, the flat glazing has been fitted.

The difference is really noticable, especially in our bedroom where the only light is now that relfected by the white weatherboarding, and not direct light.

A long and often futile feeling battle to get them done, but our councillor really came up trumps on this one.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear your story! I really feel for you.

I'm suprised, being a new development that they couldn't have invested just a bit more in an enviromentaly sensitive lighting scheme, I thought that the envromental concerns were supposed to be high up on the list of issues to be addressed on any new development. Though clearly not in the case of lighting!

Just a thought..and of course I don't know where you live.. Do you have a local parish council? I had some sucess with a recent street light issue after approaching the local parisgh council. They took up my concerns and got a troublsome light switched off for part of the night.

Archived