Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount Security......Would You / Wouldnt You

Kai

For those of you that have been following my Pier project you will know its finished now :(

I have a question though and i appreciate its my final descision.......

'Do i leave my Heq5 Pro mounted permantly or would you advise to remove it each night after use.'

The garden is fairly secure and we do not (touch wood) have too many problems with crime around here.The mount is bolted through the pier plate and i could double nut the mounting bolt for extra security.It would be covered up during the time its not in use.

It would save Polar aligning each down and i would then spend the time Drift aligning to give me accurate tracking.

What would you do ???

Personaly i would leave the mount set up. As you say you are then able to do drift aligning which will pay great dividends. If you double nut the mount i am sure that it will be safe as most crime is oppotunist.

Good luck with the setup.

John

Hi Kai

Even though you will obviously cover the mount, I would still be wary of water/dew damage if it were left out all the time. With regards to security, unless the tealeafs are specifically targeting astro equipment, I doubt you would have any problems.

IMHO JV

I think it unlikely that that some 'scum bag' would want to nick the mount, as he probably wouldn't know what it was, and as such not worth 'nicking'.

Bear in mind that these 'scum bags' want to sell on what they nick to their 'scum bag' mates, and its highly unlikely they would want to buy it, as they wouldn't know what to do with it either.

As for covering it up, providing air can circulate freely around the mount, say from an open-end at the bottom, damp shouldn't be a problem. Earwigs and spiders, that's another matter :(

Be aware that some cover material, sold as cheap waterproof for covers patio sets and garden chairs etc, aren't particularly waterproof. They tend to let a degree of dampness through.

As an extra security measure, drill a hole in the pier, to accommodate a decent padlock. Secure one end of a hardened steel chain (bike or motorbike type) to the pier, and wrap the well protected (e.g. plastic sleeved) other end of the chain, tightly around the mount, and secure it to itself, with another padlock.

Dave

Lol I nearly always break my back carrying the thing in and out of the garden, id love to see a tea leaf pick one of these up and start to run with it. The one thing I wont leave mine outside for is the fact that moisture will in one way or the other enter into the electrical areas, I would recommend getting some de4ssicant packs to draw away the moisture, if you see any BT engineers in your area ask them if they can spare you a few, but you didnt hear that from me. They do anything for a cup of tea and a bacon sandwich.

Archived