Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Synscan home position parking, any tips

proflight2000

Looking for any valuable pointers here please, when I use my synscan goto before I switch on I align it all up with polaris ect, then i turn it on and accept the 1 option of use from parking position, now the problem, when I resend the scope back using home position to park it is always 3 or 4 degrees away from Polaris, the place where I started from. Can anyone enlighten me on how best to either do this so it goes back where it started or on how I get it to accept the new parking position I started from.

The whole thing locked up on me yesterday so i am not sure if the software has got corrupted as it never now accepts a 3 star alignment. thanks for any tips.

I'm quite new to this me sen but once you've p aligned , Park the scope, turn it on input local data, time etc and you go from there,when you've done and wish to park it should go back to the original park position(ie weights hanging straight down with everything vertically aligned but not with polaris. Ensure your power supply is healthy(no red LED flashing) and constant. Ensure your clutches are well engaged. As for the locking up and refusing to accept any 3-star align commands I'm afraid I've no idea but try again if it persists try the retailer.

Good luck.

Karlo

I agree with Beamish - the way I understand it is that the home position is in relation to the mount so everything is parrallel NOT in relation to polaris, so the polar scope should be pointing at polaris but the scope when in its home position should be with the weights hanging straight down and everything in a line... I've set my scales so when its in this position everything reads zero, that way it makes it easy to manually park it...

I agree with Beamish - the way I understand it is that the home position is in relation to the mount so everything is parrallel NOT in relation to polaris, so the polar scope should be pointing at polaris but the scope when in its home position should be with the weights hanging straight down and everything in a line... I've set my scales so when its in this position everything reads zero, that way it makes it easy to manually park it...

Correct..

The park position does what it says on the tin. Home position is RA 00 00 Dec 90.00, ie scope vertical with weights pointing down..

Remember your mount points at polaris not your scope..

HTH..

Greg

Just a thought...

Have you accurately aligned your scope on the mount by adjusting the 4 allen bolts on the bottom of the dovetail plate??

That may explain the discrepancy..

I agree too - Polaris comes right out of the equation once you have polar aligned the mount - it is then a purely 'mechanical' thing to achieve the correct 'Park' position.

Hi all, many thanks for the replies, the concern I have is this, I have the tripod correctly positioned facing north, north leg north ect. I then line the mount up so that I get polaris in the center of my eyepiece, to do this I use the bolts for the up and down movement and the two side bolts to move the mount left or right. I ensure that it is parked correctly weights down ect. Now the crunch, when I do a star alignment I am a few degrees out of the star so I button press to get the star in the center of the eyepiece then press enter. Ok so I do this for the other stars and at the moment get an alignment failed message.

Dang, so I then tell the scope to park itself, this it does, however as only a few minutes have passed, I would expect the eyepiece to have polaris back in view, maybe not dead center but in view as in effect the scope is going back to where it started, thats where I am getting confused. 4 bolts on the dovetail plate (not sure what that means) but i have re downloaded the handsets software and I am going to look for a direct 240 volt power feed rather than rely on the tank, so I will give andy a call on that one. mmmm such are the delights of waiting all day to go and see the stars then spend the best part of the night trying to figure things out.

As a worse scenario, how would I change the home parking position, as it maybe that its reading some previous position from its database. Thanks all.

I then line the mount up so that I get polaris in the center of my eyepiece, to do

Is that through the Polar Scope ??

If not then thats your problem,You need to align the mount (I have done mine without the scope attached) via the Polar Scope rather than through the telescope / finder

I then line the mount up so that I get polaris in the center of my eyepiece, to do

Is that through the Polar Scope ??

If not then thats your problem,You need to align the mount (I have done mine without the scope attached) via the Polar Scope rather than through the telescope / finder

Absolutely, don't do anything else re the mount until you've tried this(ie bolts or software or anything)

Align Polaris in your polar scope in/on the mount , you can do this without the scope attached.Once aligned,PARK. Turn on and start your 1/2/or3 star align.

take a look at recent post from Phattire re powertank and recently the thread on mains power

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?topic=15281.0

and

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?topic=15527.msg160365#msg160365.You'll probably find it 'll all work fine

good luck

Karlo

Looking for any valuable pointers here please, when I use my synscan goto before I switch on I align it all up with polaris ect, then i turn it on and accept the 1 option of use from parking position, now the problem, when I resend the scope back using home position to park it is always 3 or 4 degrees away from Polaris, the place where I started from.

You should leave it parked until you turn it on. That's why there is a park position, so it knows where it is when you turn it on. Don't move it at all as that will confuse it no end.

If it parks some way off Polaris, so what? If it likes that its cool, but don't move it at all!

Kaptain Klevtsov

Archived