Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light of moon in my new scope

Albenn

Since I started in my new hobby of astronomy a few months back I have been observing mostly with binoculars and have been concentrating mostly on trying to find DSO's. My favourite viewing object has been the Orion nebula with the moon given a casual glance now and again.

However, since getting my first scope with the resulting hike in magnification, I have been looking at the moon with a fascination that has taken me by surprise. I never realised that the moon could be so beautiful and that there was so much to see.

It's all there: mountains, craters, mares etc. I know it's always been there for me to observe, but I think that it is that very fact that explains why I hadn't took much notice before - it was just too familiar and I took it for granted like many people.

After my viewings through the scope, I can now understand why many observers make the moon a life-long study. It really is more interesting and more beautiful than you first think.

The moon last night was a thin crescent and the views on the terminator through my 10mm ep were spectacular.

I will still continue to look for DSO's and observe the Orion Nebula when it returns but I will definitely be turning my scope to the moon more often.

Hi Alan,

Glad to here your getting great views of the moon through your scope. I had a similar experience a year or so ago .... I hadn't paid the moon much attention before and I was trying out a new eyepiece (Televue Nagler 9mm) when I saw my first incredible views of the shadows in the mountains along the terminator. It's amazing to see such detail and contrast. Hope you have many more hours of fun with your scope :(

You could make a start on the lunar 100 list. I found that very inspiring, and it is a good way to get to know the surface a lot better. Still more of a DSO man myself, but I have begun to appreciate the moon more.

Lunar 100 list? Sounds interesting. I'll check that out. One thing I have learnt in my short time in this hobby is that when the moon starts to shine everything else gets washed out. So that list may be the very thing for those kind of nights. Thanks for the heads up Michael

Archived