Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

skyliner 200p

hi all

i have just recieved my 200p dob from flo (thanks flo) just noticed theres no primary mirror cover or plate at the bottom end of the scope, is this normal.

i was hoping there would be a plate there so i could attacht a fan later.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Correct, the skyliners dont have them, the explorers do. Not hard to make one though.

hmmm? mine (received in feb) doesn't. don't s'pose its a problem really unless it gets a hefty wack with something:confused:

You dont NEED a laser, i use a cheshire. I wont get into laser vs cheshire, either is fine.

Collimation is easy with astrobabys guide. First time might take a little while but after that its a 5 minute job, tops.

The best analogy i've heard is it's like tuning a guitar.

I got my scope stored in cool cupboard and place it standing on the bottom end.

Reading this now, is it essential to cover the bottom part? And having the scope standing like it do on a carpet, might this harm my scope/primary mirror?

do you protect the screw ends by placing then into recesses or just plonk it onto a piece of carpet?

I was looking into storing mine this way, but in the end decided on horizontal. It all sits in its original polystyrene bits in a plastic garden storage box in the garage.

One of these days, the clouds may part and i'll get the rascal out!

M

Apart from constructing a "pad" of some description with holes to take the screw ends - not really.

I was concerned the weight of the whole thing on the sticky-out screws might move the mirror cell.

This is why I now have this big plastic coffin thing in the garage.

£70 it cost. I could have got myself a right angle finder for that!

But at least the scope is secure.

M

thank you. ill have to improvise

Sorry for any confusion i've caused here astro, yours is the dob. Presumably you are standing it in your cupboard on its mount.

Mine is of course the newt hence my concern of storing it upright on the sticky out screws.

It's just that the photo of bashers bottom is identical to mine - if you know what i mean.

M

not to worry.....I have not got it stored on my mount, my mount is in the shed so it is full on its bottocks and standing up.

However I had a look just and it is not leaning on it screws, its got a metal edge on the bottom which means that the screws are a centimeter or so from the floor. So that should be ok

But to get back to the topic, should I put a cover on the bottom so that no fabric, hairs, dust, etc comes in from the bottom on the primary mirror?

Archived