Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cooling fans for continual running

neil phillips

i would just mod a PC psu. to be honest. trying to run of a converter like that will cause problems, the fans like to suck alotta juice.

you can pick up the standard fitted 250w psu for a couple quid.

bridge the auto sensor. so the unit powers up when turned on.

the unit will allow more amps to be drawn,

my psu@600w

32a on the 3.3V

60a on the 5v

38amp on the 2x 12v

you could run couple fans, dewheater and maybe possible to power the whole mount to

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i would just mod a PC psu. to be honest. trying to run of a converter like that will cause problems, the fans like to suck alotta juice.

you can pick up the standard fitted 250w psu for a couple quid.

bridge the auto sensor. so the unit powers up when turned on.

the unit will allow more amps to be drawn,

my psu@600w

32a on the 3.3V

60a on the 5v

38amp on the 2x 12v

you could run couple fans, dewheater and maybe possible to power the whole mount to

Hi i dont have access to parts, all the pc PSUs i just looked at on the net, have built in fans and are quite expensive

I think a pc psu is overcomplicating things tbh. There are far simpler ways of powering a fan this small. My 120mm for instance draws just 0.14A, batteries are more than enough. Even a maplin powertank would be overkill tbh, unless you have other stuff to run too.

I think a pc psu is overcomplicating things tbh. There are far simpler ways of powering a fan this small. My 120mm for instance draws just 0.14A, batteries are more than enough. Even a maplin powertank would be overkill tbh, unless you have other stuff to run too.

No just the fan, ive used regualated power plugs before on fans. im using a unregulated one on my present fan have been for ages. Dont really want to use batterys, but its either that or a power plug i think.

not sure if the amp issue will strike or not, like Tamiyacowboy suggests, it hasnt for me with other fans and power plugs ive used. Not sure ?

Thanks for starting this thread Neil. I have been trying to make a vibration free mounting myself and have come up with this, it uses a microphone holder the middle part (which holds the mic) has been removed and replaced with the fan and then attaches to the base plate with velcro. The base then attaches to the scope with more velcro. Base plate is drying in the shed as have just painted it black. not had a chance to fully test it yet as the weather is awful as you probably know, but it runs at 12v with no vibrations felt through the scope. my plan is to use this while imaging/observing and i have another larger fan 120mm which is just attached to the base to run for the initial cooling down then swap over to the smaller low vibration one

thanks again i wouldn't have thought of using the mic holder until i read this thread :(

regards

Jason

post-27261-13387776862_thumb.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread Neil. I have been trying to make a vibration free mounting myself and have come up with this, it uses a microphone holder the middle part (which holds the mic) has been removed and replaced with the fan and then attaches to the base plate with velcro. The base then attaches to the scope with more velcro. Base plate is drying in the shed as have just painted it black. not had a chance to fully test it yet as the weather is awful as you probably know, but it runs at 12v with no vibrations felt through the scope. my plan is to use this while imaging/observing and i have another larger fan 120mm which is just attached to the base to run for the initial cooling down then swap over to the smaller low vibration one

thanks again i wouldn't have thought of using the mic holder until i read this thread :(

regards

Jason

great idea Jason, looks well isolated, glad the thread helped. its a quite a interesting topic i find. will post up images when ive done mine. and hopefully images showing the results at some point

Cheers

Archived