eq5 goto power options

I have a HEQ5 with a 12v power input, and i use a leisure battery... Works well, and allows me to power the mount, dew heaters, guide camera, with no trouble, and no interruptions. Runs all night long, and nights in a row too.

A leisure battery differs from a standard 12v Car battery in that it is optimised for deep cycle discharge/recharge. slow discharge over long periods.

This means you won't ruin it by running it for long periods.

conversely, a car battery gives high power for short periods

Yeah as Mike said, It will cost you about £50 for a 85Ah leisure battery from any camping / caravaning / marine shop. but you will also need a charger.

As long as you look after your battery, it will last you a very long time. Ive had mine for over a year, and it is still going strong. Charge it after use, and if you havnt used it charge it once a month.

If your mount handles 12v, then all you need is a 12v power cable...

One like this :

First Light Optics - SkyTron Power Supply Cable for Skywatcher & Celestron Mounts

Just make sure you get the right connector.

And depending on how you decide to power it, if you use a leisure battery you will need somthing similar to this

http://sheridanmarine.com/public/assets/images/shop/stock/1288569600/adapt-it-4-crocodile-clips-cigar-socket-1289823511-l.jpg

again either from a camping shop or you can make this.

Im not quite sure what you are asking for the second part of the question.

Keiran

EDIT:

I had a quick search in the DIY section, and found this:

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/136104-bodged-battery-box.html

Its what you can do.... Makes it easier to to transport, and use.

go to is driven by motors and controlled by encoders so yes you will need a power supply to use this feature. if you dont want to use this feature then you dont need power, hope this answers what i think you mean.if you have goto why would you not want to use it ?

I haven't actually seen one with a goto kit added but I think the motors attach to where the slow mo controls are so I think the answer is no. thinking again you could disengage the clutches and move it that way but it would be difficult to track

Archived