Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar filter set up ?

Paulb3098

Hi, I was looking at getting an off set Thousand Oaks filter for my 10“ dob but they are £130. I thought it might be better off getting a smaller 3" scope, gives me a grab and go and then add a full solar filter. Would the views be as good ? Has anyone else done this ?

Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

You can still use a filter on your 10" Dob - just use one that is smaller than the full aparture (and make sure the rest of the aparture is fully and properly covered). If you can make your own with Baader Solar film and make it so it "fits" between the legs of your secondary mirror mount - about 3-4" in diameter. You will get exellent views of the Sun and could take photos as well as the exposure times are very small.

As Merlin says there is little to be gained by going over 100-120mm due to the atmosphere "boiling" the detail away.

Archived