NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DIY Telescope Plans ?

Smeghead

Hi all

i'm thinking of building myself a telescope, probably a newtonian but still undeceided at the moment.

mainly thinking of building as i can afford a decent mount and tripod, but not the OTA to go with it.

any suggestions ?

any links to build plans ?

main criteria are :-

portable (i take my telescope to public outreach evenings)

easy to use (see above!)

simple and quick to set up

ideally to be used with a motorised mount (for imaging)

thanks in advance for your help :D

it's much cheaper to buy a used OTA than make one in truth.

ATM is mainly (albeit not exclusively) based around the dobsonian market but these are not good for imaging of course.

I am currently working on something that meets your criteria other than imaging/motors but this has not been a cheap exercise if you include the price of the OTA. http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/184525-6-f5-suitcase-dobsonian-project.html

This book gives you instructions on building five different scopes:

Build Your Own Telescope, Complete Plans for Five Telescopes you can Build with Simple Hand tools, by Richard Berry

As Shane points out buying a scope is a cheaper option over building your own. But the quality control you have when building your own makes building your own immensely satisfying.

Regards

Ps you may well find the book at a cheaper price than here.:D

please don't take my comments as in any way suggesting I don't really get a lot of pleasure and enjoyment from ATMing. it's brilliant and I recommend it. BUT if you (as you suggested) are short on funds, it's not a cost effective way to a smaller (sub 12" aperture) OTA.

• 1 month later...

Archived