Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light Review Skywatcher Heritage 130P Mini Dob

Albenn

Alan, a Wixey is a digital angle reader that can be magnetically fitted to any scope that has any amount of metal in the scope construction. As you tilt the scope upwards you get a digital display readout of the angle the scope is tilted at/pointing to:

They are available from FLO and cost about £30.

They ONLY work in the ALT and not in AZ.

Brilliant investment for any Dob owner.

Paul, the Wixey seems to be hard to get and couldn't find it on FLO but found this on Amazon for £21.75. Digital Angle Gauge / Protractor / Inclinometer / Bevel Box + Leather Pouch & Batteries: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools Any thoughts as to suitability? It has a magnetic base.

This is my first attempt at linking so apologies if it doesn't work!

post-35507-133877766358_thumb.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't bother with the plain old Wixey angle gauge. This new combined digital spirit level & angle gauge makes it obsolete. http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/wixey-wr365-digital-angle-gauge-with-level-and-flip-up-display.html

Just place it onto the OTA, turn it on and that's it. You instantly get a digital read out of the actual angle of the OTA. There's no need to level the OTA first or to zero the gauge or for a separate spirit level. Also has a flip-up display.

Very pleased with mine. :D

John

post-14522-133877766405_thumb.jpg

I honestly don't think you will regret it if you do decide to get one. These are so portable, uncomplicated, easy to use and I think it is a great little product which fits my needs perfectly.

Just ordered mine, got a 5mm ep and a collimation tool too:) can't wait!

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

Don't blame me if you don't like it! :D

No, seriously, it's a great little scope and I have not had any regrets or second thoughts since getting mine. Which 5mm ep did you go for? Don't forget to post your first light report so we can see how you got on with it.

Don't worry i won't blame you. I've read loads of other reviews and none bad! I was going to get a barlow for the included 10mm but after some research it seems id be better off getting a 5mm, to cut out the middle man so to speak, apparently any more power will be too much. Its a vixen, cheap but im assuming an upgrade on the 10mm. Will let you know how i get on. Nursing a sore neck with my bins just been looking at a cluster in coma lol can't wait to get a scope:)

No blame? Phew! That's a relief! :D

Bino neck? That's one of the reasons I added a scope to my kit. Still intend to use binos though. I believe the TAL x2 Barlow from FLO is very good and am thinking of getting one to see if the 10mm that came with the scope can handle it. Probably not by all accounts, but then at least I've got the Barlow anyway and know for sure to upgrade the 10mm.

I was really glad I got my Cheshire collimator tube at the same time. My scope was pretty much collimated when it arrived, but I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't had the Cheshire. The instruction book that comes with the scope has a guide to collimation that doesn't require a Cheshire, but you do need to keep your eye centered in the focuser. I'm pretty sure that even without the Cheshire, those instructions would probably get you somewhere near and ready to start observing.

Yeah the the tal barlows where out of stock which eased my decision. I have no idea about collimation but didn't want it to arrive out and then get myself in a pickle lol.

Great little scope this, i currently own one but unfortunately it will have to go to fund my upgrade and i have only got one set of eyes lol. Wish i could keep it though, it will be missed when it goes i gaurantee that.

Yeah the the tal barlows where out of stock which eased my decision. I have no idea about collimation but didn't want it to arrive out and then get myself in a pickle lol.

I ordered my TALx2 Barlow from FLO during my lunch break today and it will be with me in a day or 2, so I must have just been lucky with the stock level.

If you are methodical, follow the guides and only adjust what needs to be adjusted, then you shouldn't have too much trouble collimating. I found when checking the position of the secondary mirror, that if the aperture cover is reversed, it can be placed over the open tube thereby preventing the primary mirror reflection reaching the secondary, which can be confusing. I don't know whether this was an intentional design function of the cover or not, but it does fit the open tube rather well.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of fixing my smartphone to the ota, what is the ota made from as metal will interfere with the magnetometer in the phone.

The tube is metal. The Wixey magnet sticks to it. Don't know if the smartphone will be affected though. HTH

Archived