M31, fighting the moonglow

SteveL

First imaging session on this, as it has started to poke its nose over the top of my house. I knew it was big, but not quite this big! I need the focal reducer on it for next time. This session was more of a investigation for when I get a better/longer view.

Canon 350D (unmodded), Only 10 x 120s @ ISO800, 10x darks, NS8GPS @ f/10, OAG+PHD+DSI, DSS, PSCS2 + Noels AstroTools

m31_20070729.jpg

Not great, but its a baseline to work from next time (damn the moon glow! but at least I got out :( )

First imaging session on this, as it has started to poke its nose over the top of my house. I knew it was big, but not quite this big! I need the focal reducer on it for next time. This session was more of a investigation for when I get a better/longer view.

Not great, but its a baseline to work from next time (damn the moon glow! but at least I got out :) )

Did a similar thing last night too Steve... haven't processed it yet, but was amazed that even with a 3.3 reducer I was only going to get the core :shock:

It sure was great to be out :(

Helen

First imaging session on this, as it has started to poke its nose over the top of my house. I knew it was big, but not quite this big! I need the focal reducer on it for next time.

Pretty good image considering the strong moon light.

With my F6 telescope it is not possible to get it all in the frame. I am at the moment looking for a good focal reducer. The only other alternative is to piggy back the camera on the telescope and use something like a 135 to 200mm lens to get a wide field of view. Quite long subs seem to be needed to get the fine detail.

John

I`m just waiting for my ADM counterweight rail to arrive so I can actually start to use my WO66mm for objects like this. I placed it in the rings last night as a quick test, and all I saw through it was stars slowly moving by as the NS8GPS slowly rolled over backwards :(

With the counterweights on, I can use the NS8GPS to guide, and use the widefield on the 66 to image, or vice versa. With the off axis guider attached, I cannot get to focus with my DSLR if I use the 6.3 focal reducer

Archived