Ring Nebula

I have a 5" scope with a Rigel quick finder on its way. I have an IR filter and not bad light pollution in my back garden given adapted vision. I can't find the Ring Nebula even on a good night. Any tips appreciated :)

download stellarium its a FREE software, loads of us use it.

you can zoom in and out, locate thousands of objects ,and even what they look like through a particular eyepiece, its frankly superb for nowt !

right , so once done , its exellent for playing with on rainy nights. theres a few things you may get stuck on, just ask questions here, as many use stellarium and will help with issue's.

now what i do with some objects is zoom in bit by bit and note the star patterns to hop to /from. the ring is not to hard as it sits nicely between two bright stars. if you press (f3) then enter the object you want to locate , and it will take you there.

theres even a telrad setting on stellarium.

have fun with it. i do

Archived